A woman in Florida learned a painful lesson after mistakenly gluing her eyes shut. Katie Gaydos is recovering after she accidentally picked up a container of nail glue (some sites reporting Super Glue) and placed the drops into one eye. Although the powerful adhesive sealed the woman’s eyelids, she is expected to make a full recovery, this according to a Fox News report.
Katherine Gaydos (Katie, for short) is the woman who unknowingly glued her eyes shut. This weird news story serves as a precautionary tale in using extreme care when handling chemicals of any type — particularly, anything that’s going on or inside one’s body.
The Florida woman said the mishap took place when an unidentified man was doing yard work using a leaf blower. Reportedly, some debris from the equipment lodged in her eye. That’s when things went from zero to 60 in the blink of an eye (pun intended).
“Something blew into my eye and I screamed for someone else to get eye drops out of my purse and they brought Super Glue.”
Apparently, in a hasty attempt to help the woman during her distress, the man grabbed a small bottle of glue that the woman normally uses to repair broken fingernails. She then applied the drops into her eye and immediately knew something was wrong; they were sealed shut and the irritation followed.
Gaydos, an unemployed mom-of-two, sought medical attention from her doctor, but was turned away from the facility. Apparently, she didn’t have health insurance. In these cases, patients are referred to the nearest emergency room. Even there, doctors only provide care necessary to stabilize a person. They are then referred to their primary care physician (or PCP).
Still suffering from her eyes glued shut, the woman returned home and self-treated. During that time, for some nine days without a doctor’s treatment, the woman cried daily. Then, in a stroke of luck, the same doctor’s office contacted the Florida woman and invited her back for a look at her eye. Staff from the doctor’s office called her after her story went viral and WPBF 25 in Lantana, followed up on the story. Gaydos spoke to the news station about the incident.
“[The doctor] put Lidocaine above and below my eye, and just pulled on it until it finally opened. He said I should get my sight back and not have permanent damage.”
The woman met with a different doctor this time. She was given treatment for her glued eye, but it remained partially shut. The office told her to return at a later date for them to perform another procedure that would scrape the glue from her cornea.
Another unrelated incident involving a person gluing their eyes shut took place four years ago in Maryland. Then, Baltimore County resident, Kaushik Pandya, had just undergone cataract surgery on September 14. Part of his recovery at home required that he apply eye drops several times a day, according to ABC Action News.
One night, the 69-year-old man returned home from a late-night event. Before retiring for bed, Pandya reached for what he thought were his prescription drops. However, due to his limited vision from surgery, he grabbed a container of “Original Super Glue” instead.
He said his 11-year-old nephew was working on a school project that required the adhesive, and left the glue on the table. Pandya couldn’t tell the difference. He mistook the glue for drops, placed a few in his eyes that resulted in them being glued shut.
After an emergency room visit, doctors treated the man and told him to rest a few days. The good news was he didn’t suffer permanent damage from the incident, according to his son, Shray.
“It was very irritated, they said that his cornea was a little scratched, but it would heal in a few days.”
The woman who glued her eyes shut likely won’t suffer from lasting effects from the accident.
[Featured Image via Twitter]