Kenney Bui: Evergreen High School Football Player’s Death Is Fourth This Season

Once again, a high school football player’s death is being mourned by a community in the United States. In this latest tragedy, Kenney Bui, an Evergeen, Seattle High School senior suffered severe injuries on a Friday night game, which cost him his life.

Only last week, 17-year-old Evan Murray of Warren Hills Regional High School, in New Jersey, was laid to rest following a similar incident. According to the Morris County Medical examiner’s office, Murray died of internal bleeding from a lacerated spleen, which in his case was enlarged.

Kenney Bui, an Evergeen High defensive back, was injured while tackling an opponent in the fourth quarter. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance and the rest of the game was cancelled, USA Today reports. Bui passed away on Monday.

Highline Public Schools Superintendent Susan Edfield said the following in a statement.

“It is with great sadness that School Board President Bernie Dorsey and I share with you that TEC High School senior Kenney Bui, who was critically injured in Friday night’s Evergreen vs. Highline football game, died this morning at the hospital.”

“This is a devastating loss for all of us — Evergreen students, families, and staff, and our entire Highline community. Our deepest condolences go out to Kenney’s family and all who knew him. Please join us in keeping them in your thoughts and prayers.”

This latest high school football death is bringing renewed calls for increased safety for players. In the case of Kenney Bui, the Evergreen High athlete underwent brain surgery, but doctors’ efforts were unsuccessful. An autopsy is scheduled to determine the exact cause of death.

Bui’s case is the fourth high school football death this season and comes just a week after Murray’s in New Jersey. Other fatalities are Tyrell Cameron from Franklin Parrish, Louisiana who suffered a neck injury and Ben Hamm from Wesleyan Christian School in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, who died eight days after suffering a hit to the head.

Kenney Bui’s death was not the only incident during a football game in Seattle Friday, which involved hospitalization following serious injuries. David Young, a senior at Adna in Chehalis, Washington, is in serious condition at a hospital after suffering a broken bone in his neck, coach K.C. Johnson told The Seattle Times.

Young was injured on the fifth play of the game and walked off the field. However, he later complained of neck pain and the coach pulled him from the game. He was examined by the team’s staff and sent to the hospital.

The recent deaths in high school football players have forced some school programs to shut down due to reduced interest, which suggests parents are extremely concerned that their boys join to play the sport. Moreover, concerns are also being felt in the National Football League after 87 of 91 former NFL players who donated their brains for research after death, tested positive for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, known as CTE, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University, CNN reported. CTE is a degenerative disease linked repeated head trauma, researchers said.

Star Rookie Chris Borland shocked the world of professional football when he turned down a $3 million, four-year contract, with the San Francisco 49ers in March of 2015 because of concerns about his health, as he told ESPN.

“From what I’ve researched and what I’ve experienced, I don’t think it’s worth the risk…I’m concerned that if you wait (until) you have symptoms, it’s too late.”

Even before Kenney Bui’s death in Evergreen high school, athletic programs have begun to put emphasis on concussions. Anyone with a child in organized sports has seen these forms come home as the season begins, but so far it hasn’t stopped the tragedies from happening.

[Image via Facebook]