Khloe Kardashian and Kris Jenner have a new reason to celebrate today. They won't be criminally charged for the enormous fireworks display they let loose during their James Harden birthday bash on a luxury yacht in August, TMZ reports.
According to the article on TMZ, the LA County Sheriff Department recommended that the Kardashians be charged with a misdemeanour for disturbing the peace. However, the D.A rejected the recommendation, citing that the Khloe Kardashian and Kris Jenner (via her production company) had "passive permission" to let off the fireworks.
It looks like the Coast Guard informed the Sheriff's Department, via email, that Boulevard Management, Kris Jenner's production company, would be letting off fireworks that night at 11:59 p.m. The Coast Guard also told the Sheriff that the Kardashians did not need a permit for the fireworks display, which lasted for 15 minutes.
But the noise generated by the Kardashian fireworks caused triggered a flurry of complaint calls from nearby residents who were woken up that morning by the booming sound. Both the Coast Guard and the Sheriff's Department pointed fingers at the other as to who was responsible for enforcing the noise ordinances against Khloe Kardashian and Kris Jenner.
Because the yacht was 100 feet off breakwater, it's the Coast Guard's responsibility, TMZ notes. However, noise violations are the L.A. County Sheriff's beat, but they said that they could only check on the noise violation if the Coast Guard reported it. This is strange, since TMZ reports that at least one sheriff has admitted to hearing the boom from the Kardashian fireworks party that night. In addition, there were numerous 911 calls about it that night, so there was no way the County Sheriff didn't know. Looks like they just did nothing about it.
TMZ reports that although Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian have escaped criminal charges, a group of residents are still taking their case to small claims court.
According to the Daily Mail, the disgruntled residents are seeking $7,500 from the Kardashians for the "emotional distress" they suffered when the enormous fireworks display interrupted their sleep that night. They claim that they woke up thinking that Los Angeles was under some type of attack. There were also some initial claims from a resident who suffered from multiple sclerosis, reporting that her condition got worse after the incident. Furthermore, there may be some celebrity names listed among the residents who are filing the lawsuit against the Keeping Up With The Kardashian stars, but those names have not been disclosed.
Lawyers are not allowed in small claims court, so the residents are reportedly hoping that they can speak to Khloe Kardashian and Kris Jenner face to face to tell them how "rude and supremely selfish" their fireworks display was.
The Kardashian fireworks were set off on a barge just off the breakwater while they watched from their luxury yacht.
On the night of James Harden's birthday, Khloe Kardashian and a star studded list of guests, including Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner, Tyga, Kris Jenner, and Kanye West, boarded the yacht, which sailed from Marina Del Rey, California. E! Online reports that the fireworks display went off around midnight, and the Kardashian party boat returned to dock at 1 a.m. to drop off a couple of people. Khloe Kardashian and James Harden stayed on the boat, though, and continued to party well into the wee hours of the morning. They even picked up some new guests after they docked.
Khloe Kardashian and James Harden started dating publicly earlier this year. The couple was first seen together on July 4 in Las Vegas. A reported insider soon told E! News the two are "hanging out and having fun."
[Photo by Alberto Rodriguez / Getty Images]