Take That fans were on the verge of reliving the ’90s all over again when rumors resurfaced that Robbie Williams was set to rejoin his former bandmates for their 25th anniversary tour. Sadly, that news has been squashed by Robbie’s rep who told Mirror Celeb that the “Rock DJ” singer has no plans to tour or record with current members Gary Barlow, Howard Donald, and Mark Owen. The original line-up also featured Jason Orange.
“Robbie’s plan for 2016 is to make his next solo album. He then hopes to subsequently tour that album. These are his only plans in terms of recording and touring,” his rep said.
After briefly getting back together with Take That five years ago, Williams has reportedly held several secret meetings with the boys about reuniting to celebrate the group’s 25th anniversary this year. He sparked reunion rumors back in June when he supported his pals at a London gig, posing for a photo backstage, the Huff Post U.K. reports.
— Robbie Williams (@robbiewilliams) June 15, 2015
Earlier this year, the “Angels” hitmaker attended a Take That performance at London’s O2 Arena and later tweeted, “I’ve just been to see the show of the year @ the O2. I love my boys. Pride, nostalgia, entertained, happy #LETMEBACKIN x.”
— Robbie Williams (@robbiewilliams) July 28, 2015
A source spoke to the Sun to give their take on the conflicting rumors and hysteria.
“Robbie’s first return to Take That was never going to be a one-off. He feels passionate and proud of the band’s achievements and still wants to be part of it. He loves the big tours and being in the studio with the lads. His comeback will be a great way to mark their anniversary.”
Williams shattered the hearts of teenage fangirls when he announced he was quitting Take That in 1995. He briefly reunited with the boys in 2010 to record the band’s sixth studio album, Progress, and subsequent tour in the U.K. and Europe in 2011, before leaving again — but this time on good terms.
Back in December, Gary Barlow hinted that he is keen for Robbie and Jason to return in the future, and he also confessed that a three-piece Take That is temporary, advising fans to get use to the band constantly evolving and changing styles (and members).
“Moving forward, I do think our fans need to get used to the fact that it’s going to change – maybe every album. I might be missing on the next one and Rob might come in instead of me. Actually, he’d better not do!,” Barlow said.
In August 2012, Take That performed at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics, and Robbie was due to perform with the band but dropped out at the last minute because his wife was giving birth around the same time. Take That are currently touring Europe through the end of October, while planning their 25th Anniversary tour for 2016.
[Image via Ian Gavan/Getty Images]
[Image via Twitter]