Franklin Parish, Louisiana: High School Football Player Dies After Breaking Neck On Punt Return

Tragedy struck Franklin Parish, Louisiana, on Friday night as a high school football player died after suffered a broken neck during a punt return.

According to USA Today, Franklin Parish High sophomore Tyrell Cameron suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of a game against Sterlington. He was then taken to the emergency room of a nearby hospital where he died shortly after.

Sterlington ended up winning the game 14-0, and the school also tweeted a show of support and prayers for Franklin Parish High.

KNOE did receive confirmation on the injury to Tyrell Cameron, and got word from Sheriff Kevin Cobb that the young man had passed away. It was revealed that Cameron had suffered a broken neck on the field.

Aaron Monnin played for the Franklin parish football team last season as a senior offensive lineman. Late on Friday evening, he spoke of Cameron, who Monnin played against in practice during last season.

“He was humble. He was very instinctive and had overwhelming potential. We would tell him how good he was going to be and he never accepted it. He would just flash us a grin and shake his head.

“He listened to coaching and advice from upperclassmen. He listened to everything somebody would tell him. He worked hard and would pay attention to little things, man. He would pay attention to how big splits were on the offensive line, to see if we’re pulling or not. He was a great guy.

“There’s a lot more I could say but words just wouldn’t do it justice.”

As soon as word got out about Cameron’s injury, support began pouring in for his family and for Franklin Parish High. Students and others lit up Twitter and Facebook with words of support and prayers for everyone.

On Wednesday, a high school sophomore running back in Texas was paralyzed from the waist down after breaking his neck in a junior varsity football game, per KHOU. Jasiel Favors laid motionless on the field for around 20 minutes after being involved in a helmet-to-helmet collision.

It’s being said that it is too early to know if Favors will ever walk again. He has already had surgery on his neck and is using a breathing tube.

Prayers are going out to those in Franklin Parish, Louisiana, and especially the family and friends of Tyrell Cameron. The young man suffered a broken neck in a high school football game on Friday night and died later at a hospital.

[Image via Getty Images – Streeter Lecka]