Andrew Garfield Reveals Early Support For Spider-Man Marvel Crossover

Spider-Man Andrew Garfield

Andrew Garfield revealed that he had petitioned for Spider-Man to return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe from early on. He says he’s excited to see the latest reboot, and Tom Holland’s take on the character, but isn’t totally comfortable talking about losing the role.

Garfield sat down with Uproxx on Friday to talk about his new film 99 Homes.

The conversation naturally touched on Spider-Man — a role the actor played in two blockbusters but was mysteriously denied once the franchise moved back to Marvel.

Andrew Garfield explained that he was “really, really grateful for the whole ride of it” and “really excited for the next one.”

In fact, the Social Network co-star was hoping Marvel would take over “since the beginning.”

“I’ve been petitioning to hook up with Marvel since the beginning, so I’m really glad they’re finally doing it.”

Still, he was never given a chance to put the Spider-Man suit back on. When asked if he was ever in talks to play Peter Parker in the latest rendition, Andrew Garfield said “no.”

“No. To be honest [pauses], all the ins and outs of what happened is a more tender conversation that maybe I don’t want to talk about in public in a press situation. But all I can say is that I’m stoked to go and watch a Marvel film of Spider-Man.”

Replacing Andrew Garfield, an early fan favorite, has been the subject of enormous speculation.

As previously reported by the Inquisitr, one well-researched theory is that Garfield “embarrassed” Sony Chief Kaz Hirai at big Sony event. The actor reportedly decided not to attend at the last second. As a result, Hirai had to cancel his own speech where he planned to announce the young actor would play Peter Parker in Amazing Spider-Man 3.

The fallout left Garfield on bad terms with the studio and that carried over to the partnership with Marvel. The story was supported by leaked internal emails from Sony as well as a copy of the Sony Chief’s speech.

Whether it’s true or not, Andrew Garfield isn’t letting the situation make him bitter.

In a press event in Beverly Hills, the actor told Entertainment Weekly he was happy to pass on the “weight” of the role to Tom Holland, who will take Spider-Man into the Marvel Universe.

As for the Amazing Spider-Man 3, which was scrapped after the deal with Marvel, Garfield gave some hints about what the story would have looked like to Uproxx.

He explained that he was already workshopping ideas with writer Alex Kurtzman, and they planned to get into “some pretty heavy places” after the desperate moments surrounding Gwen’s death. But in the end, it wasn’t meant to be.

The full Uproxx interview with Andrew Garfield will come out September 25, and Spider-Man’s first appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe will reportedly be in Captain America: Civil War in 2016.

[Image Credit: Getty Images]