The launch of Batman: Arkham Knight for the PC has easily taken the crown as the most disastrous for 2015 so far. It was so bad that Warner Bros. Interactive and Rocksteady Studios made the decision to pull the game from Steam. The developer shared what fixes it is working on for the next patch, though, despite its release being weeks away.
In a post on the Batman: Arkham Knightforums, Community Manager Yorrick gave an update on the progress of what is being described as an "interim patch." It is now going into testing and its release is expected "in the next few weeks," with an update on its status being given within "the next two weeks."
That statement pushes the next patch to Arkham Knight into at least mid-September. That's a slip from the last report stating the patch would arrive in August. The PC version of the latest Batman adventure has received only a single patch back in June, just days after its flubbed PC launch that did nothing to fix the major performance issues.
Unfortunately, the interim patch description suggests Batman: Arkham Knight will still not be up to snuff following its release. Existing owners will likely see some improvements, but it does not appear the PC version of the title will be put back up for sale anytime soon. A Kotaku report on a leaked internal EB Games Australia email claims Arkham Knight won't be fixed until later this fall.
Here are the "major fixes and improvements" coming with the interim patch due for Batman: Arkham Knight in the next few weeks.
- Reduced frame rate hitches
- Optimized system memory and VRAM usage
- Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)o Min Spec AMD GPU is once again the Radeon HD 7870 2GB
- More Robust In-Game Settings, including:o Added the ability to change settings for Max FPS to 30/60/90o Added toggles for Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Film Graino Added a "High" Texture Resolution valueo Added Texture Filtering optiono Added an Adaptive V-Sync option (NVIDIA only)o Added VRAM Usage Metero Added Mouse Sensitivity Slider & Mouse Smoothing Option
- Fixed low resolution texture bugs
- Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)
- Skipping the boot up splash screens
- DLC/Season Pass content
- Additional updates such as Photo Mode
[Images via Batman: Arkham Knight]