Boy Dies: Cinnamon Inhaled By 4-Year-Old Boy Causes Asphyxiation Death

Boy dies cinnamon

A boy died after ingesting cinnamon.

According to the Canada Journal, four-year-old Matthew Rader was rushed to a hospital in Kentucky by his mom, Brianna, who says that her son just fell to the floor, and was struggling to breathe. She had no idea that her son had grabbed a bottle of cinnamon, and had ingested the powdery, aromatic spice.

Brianna recalled the frightening moments, likening her son’s reaction to a seizure.

“He was completely healthy – no problems. He started choking. It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed,” said Brianna. She immediately rushed her son to the hospital, but he died just 90 minutes later. The coroner confirmed that the young boy had ingested cinnamon, and that it had traveled to his lungs.

The boy who died after ingesting cinnamon found the container of cinnamon after climbing on to a counter top in the kitchen. He apparently took the bottle to his mouth, and inhaled. According to Mail Online, Brianna wants to share her son’s story with the world in hopes of bringing awareness to the dangers of cinnamon — a very common household item.

“I can’t express how grateful I am for all the amazing support we have right now. And each and every one of you are amazing,” the post read. Matty man’s story made the Lex 18 news and now CNN wants to share it nationwide. That helps ease my breaking heart just a little to think that just maybe my baby’s story can save even just one child’s life. Cinnamon can kill. All these kids, they don’t think about the fact it can hurt them. My Matty was definitely loved by many and he loved everyone. Fly high baby boy we love you more than words could ever explain. And we miss you so much it hurts. R.I.P my sweet little angel,” Brianna wrote on Facebook.

The boy died from cinnamon asphyxiation on June 3. His death has been ruled an accident.

As previously reported by the Inquisitr, cinnamon can be deadly in larger amounts, and has been responsible for the deaths of quite a few children and teens over the past few years.

“While tolerable in very small amounts, in larger concentrated amounts cinnamon can cause kids to gag, cough, choke, and have a burning sensation in the mouth, nose, and throat. More serious reactions include vomiting, nosebleeds, and tightness in the chest.”

[Photo via Facebook]