Valerie Harper Rushed To Hospital After Being Found Unconscious Backstage

Valerie Harper has been rushed to the hospital after she was found unconscious backstage at a musical.

The 75-year-old actress was diagnosed with brain cancer back in 2013. She has previously spoken stoically about her battle, insisting that she was ready to die.

On Wednesday night, just before she was due to take to the stage in Maine at the Ogunquit Playhouse for her performance in Nice Work If You Can Get It, Harper fell unconscious, and she was then rushed to York hospital.

Entertainment Tonight were the first to report on the tragedy, and they added that the artistic director of the musical told the audience that Harper had been taken ill and wouldn’t be performing at around 9:40 p.m.

According to Mail Online, the artistic director explained, “She wants all of you to know after some fluids and rest, she hopes to be right back here on stage later this week.”

However, a source for ET stated that the situation was quite dire, adding, “It doesn’t look good,” while it was also alleged that Harper has been feeling ill all week. A statement from Ogunquit Playhouse confirmed that Harper had been taken to the hospital, but then insisted she was now “resting comfortably.”

Executive Artistic Director for Nice Work Work If You Can Get It, Bradford T. Kenney, then added a further statement on Harper’s condition.

“Valerie Harper was taken to a local hospital as a precaution before her July 29 evening performance of Nice Work If You Can Get It, at the Ogunquit Playhouse, after reporting that she was not feeling well.

She is resting comfortably and will remain in the hospital for observation for the time being….. The audiences and all of us here at the Playhouse are greatly enjoying our time with Valerie here in Ogunquit, and we are encouraged that she is feeling better.”

Last year, Valerie Harper admitted that she was “ready to go” even though, despite her cancer diagnosis, she wanted to live until 102.

[Image by Theo Wargo / Getty Images]