Brazen Prison Break Leaves One Prison Guard Dead In Trinidad And Tobago

The capital of Trinidad and Tobago is on high alert after a brazen prison break. The prison break occurred on Friday at the Port of Spain jail, and the break involved explosives and a deadly shootout with police.

Police said that three inmates were involved with the prison break. During the shootout, Constable Sherman Maynard, 27, was struck and died from the gunshot wounds. One of the inmates, Allan Martin, was shot and killed by police. That shooting took place at the grounds of the Port of Spain's General Hospital, according to KPAX.

According to the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian, Maynard was the nephew of Central Division head Snr Supt Johnny Abraham, and he was in the service for nearly two years. The prison break not only left the young officer dead, but another prison officer was injured. However, he is expected to survive, as he was slightly injured.

The two other inmates who escaped from the prison is Christpher Selby, 30, and Hassan Atwell, 41, who is awaiting extradition to America for allegedly kidnapping Videsh Mohan, an American citizen, back in 2005.

Atwell faces a number of charges in the United States, including conspiracy to engage in hostage taking. Selby was facing charges for the murder of a businesswoman.

After the prison break occurred, a bomb squad said they had to remove a hand grenade from outside the jail. As of now, the pair have not been caught, and both prison escapees are considered armed and dangerous.

However, police do have a man in custody, and he is being held in connection with the brazen prison break. The 43-year-old man, who has not been identified, is cooperating with officials.

This brazen prison break comes almost two months after another daring prison break occurred in the United States. As previously reported by the Inquisitr, the two inmates that escaped were being held at the Clinton Correctional Facility in New York. The two men, David Sweat and Richard Matt, came up with an elaborate plan for a prison break, which involved cutting through a steel wall and making their way through a maze of pipes, eventually making it to the outside world by exiting via a manhole cover.

Matt ended up being shot and killed by a police officer, while it took a little bit longer for authorities to find and apprehend Sweat. A prison official was also arrested, as she played a role in the prison break.

[Photo by Grueslayer/Wikimedia Commons]