Zayn Malik and Naughty Boy are in an epic Twitter war — but could it be that somehow bankruptcy-bound 50 Cent is involved?
Fourth of July weekend came and went, and there were no official announcements that Zayn Malik and 50 Cent had signed a contract — despite previous rumors hinting at a potential business meeting to discuss the idea.
Now, 50 Cent is filing for bankruptcy, and Zayn Malik is telling his recording studio pal, Naughty Boy, that they aren’t friends.
Is all of this a sign of unannounced or upcoming plans for 50 Cent and Zayn Malik to form a business relationship?
In the meantime, Zayn Malik is using his free time getting his head clear, according to the Mirror. Zayn Malik’s girlfriend, Perrie Edwards, stated on July 13, “[Zayn Malik is] very good thank you. I think he’s just chilling out getting some head space. I think [quitting One Direction] was probably one of his hardest decisions ever.”
Perrie and Zayn Malik were also said around July 9 to be in the process of buying a multi-million dollar mansion outside London, according to Business Standard. Was a newly signed music contract with 50 Cent the motivation behind this real estate purchase by Zayn Malik?
While his relationship with Perrie Edwards is going well, Zayn Malik’s other major relationships since leaving One Direction may be a bit rocky.
According to the BBC, Zayn Malik told Naughty Boy on July 13 via Twitter that Naughty Boy was a “joke” and a “faker.” Zayn Malik also said, “stop pretending we’re friends no one knows you” — which led many fans to worry that Zayn Malik’s Twitter account had been hacked.
Zayn Malik insinuated that Naughty Boy did not do what Zayn wanted by leaking “No Type” on SoundCloud after he quit One Direction.
However, Zayn Malik could also be breaking ties with Naughty Boy because he has bigger fish to fry — and wants to make his allegiances clear.
As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Zayn Malik and 50 Cent were alleged to have a tentative plan to get together around July 4 for a “business meeting.”
According to the Mirror, around June 20, 50 Cent informed them that he had, “invited [Zayn Malik] to a business meeting in July to discuss a deal.”
50 Cent also said, “I want it to happen. I can make him a lot of money and he can make me a lot of money. The point I am making is he needs to be working with the right producers, artists, and people in the genre.”
As it appears, 50 Cent may need the money that Zayn Malik can bring to his empire. Despite reports by Forbes Magazine earlier in 2015 that 50 Cent is one of the richest rappers, with a net worth of $155 million, he is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
The Wall Street Journal says about 50 Cent’s decision on July 13 that, “Generally, filing for bankruptcy protection halts lawsuits and collection efforts.”
How is Zayn Malik a good business decision for 50 Cent at this point? Although 50 Cent has considerable wealth in assets, an expert in business and rap music points out that his career has waned (possibly due to industry-wide changes in how musicians make money with from their music) — and therefore there is limited future, self-generated income for 50 Cent.
Author Dan Charnas of the 2010 book, The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop, said the following about 50 Cent’s fading career and explains a possible reason that 50 Cent needs Zayn Malik.
“I think what we see over and over again are rap artists joining the great American tradition of being exploited, climbing out of that exploitation and being an entrepreneur and creating equity, the great American tradition of amassing wealth and the great American tradition of squandering it.”
In other words, if 50 Cent wants to have the money to keep the lights in his mansion turned on — Zayn Malik might be his golden ticket to a new source of income.
The only question is whether Zayn Malik will take 50 Cent up on his offer and officially announce his new post-One Direction career path.