More than three decades after the famous UFO sighting incident at Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, England, Lt.Col. Charles Halt, then-deputy U.S. commander at the Bentwaters airbase, says he has new evidence to prove that UFOs landed at Rendlesham and that the authorities are covering up the evidence.
The incident was first reported in 1983 by the News of the World.
The Rendlesham UFO incident, often described as Britain’s Roswell, a reference to the alleged crash of an alien flying saucer in Roswell, New Mexico, in 1947, was witnessed by several U.S Air Force personnel and some members of the public who claimed they saw lights in the forest.
The officers claimed they saw lights and a “triangular” UFO that landed in Rendlesham in the early hours of December 26, 1980.
Speaking on Saturday (audio below) at an event in Woodbridge Community Center, Suffolk, Halt, 75, said he has obtained written statements from former radar operators at Bentwaters and nearby Wattisham airfield that radar systems detected a UFO at the time.
Halt said the radar operators were emboldened to speak only after retirement.
“I have confirmation that (radar operators)… saw the object go across their 60 mile (96km) scope in two or three seconds, thousands of miles an hour, it came back across their scope again, stopped near the water tower, they watched it and observed it go into the forest where we were.
At Wattisham, they picked up what they called a ‘bogie’ and lost it near Rendlesham Forest.
Whatever was there was clearly under intelligent control.”
Halt said he became convinced that “we are not alone” after his experience at Rendlesham Forest.
“There is no doubt in my mind we are not alone and there are some people (in power) who know this, but even Mr (Barack) Obama won’t get through to them.”
The UFO was first seen by three U.S. officers at the Bentwaters airbase. They claimed they saw a “triangular-shaped craft” that landed in nearby woods in the early hours of December 26, 1980.
Halt was not at the first sighting, but the first witnesses briefed him in the morning. The officers told him they saw lights in the sky. While they searched the forest, their communications systems went off and they were unable to account for a 40-minute period in the woods.
Later on December 27, 1980, an alarm was raised that the UFO had been sighted again, and this time, Halt went out to investigate with a team in the early hours of December 28.
After he returned to base, he recorded his experience on a cassette recorder.
He reported they saw depressions in the soil where, presumably, the UFO had landed. The also observed damage to trees in the vicinity and recorded higher than normal levels of radiation at the site.
They saw a UFO with a red light over a field near a farmhouse.
“It came towards us into the forest, moving, bobbing up and down in the trees. It was oval, about 100 to 150 yards away, with a dark centre and red around it.”
According to Halt, the UFO exploded and disappeared. Other UFOs then appeared about 3,000 to 4,000 feet up in the sky.
One fired a laser from the sky.
“To the south were two bright white lights, almost like landing lights. One approached directly overhead at very high speed and sent down a laser beam at about 10 to 12 inch in diameter. We thought, is it a weapon, a communication, a warning, what do we do?”
After the incident, he sent a memo to the British Ministry of Defence (MoD), but no action was taken. The U.S. military authorities at the airbase also took no action.
Halt accused the British authorities of concealing the truth about the Rendlesham sightings. He accused them of ignoring reports and preventing access to witnesses’ medical records.
Many believe that Halt gave a truthful account of what he saw, but what remains contentious is his interpretation of his experience.
According to Nick Pope, a former employee of the MoD who participated in investigations of reported UFO sightings as an MoD employee, “One needs to bear in mind that he’s the most senior military officer ever to have seen and reported a UFO while on duty. He’s a man of the utmost honesty and integrity, and when he makes claims — however extraordinary they may sound — you can take it to the bank.”
Many UFO investigators are convinced that there was “concerted effort to hide the truth.”
John Hanson, a UFO researcher, said the testimony of former radar operators provides new evidence that the authorities had, indeed, engaged in cover-up.
He said it also undermines several competing interpretations of the sightings, such as the suggestion by government officials that the reported lights were from the nearby Orfordness lighthouse.
Some claim that the witnesses had simply misunderstood what they saw, while others suggested they might have witnessed tests of military equipment undergoing development at the time.
[Images: Facebook / BBC; USAF]