In an interview on The Cruz Show on Power 106 earlier this month, Oscar De La Hoya hinted that he might return to boxing soon after halting his boxing career for seven years.
De La Hoya, now 42, also made an understated tip-off that he will make a grand comeback in a fight with Mayweather Jr., Chris Yuscavage for Complex Sports reported.
He would fight only the best if ever he’ll return to boxing, as he wants someone who can fight him back, De La Hoya was quoted on Thursday, June 4.
The Golden Boy lost to Floyd MayWeather Jr. in May 2007 in a split-decision. The bout was tagged by the media as “the fight that would save boxing“.
The fight produced $19 million for live gate revenue and $2.48 million in pay-per-views.
And De La Hoya also fought Manny Pacquio, the “People’s Champ” from the Philippines, in December 2008, in which his boxing career seemingly ended after the fight.
He lost by TKO and has stopped boxing since then, with a record of 39-6 and 30 KOs. The Golden Boy turned to promoting other fighters instead.
Nevertheless, De La Hoya claimed that he is still in good shape and he missed boxing, hinting that he would return to the sport once he found a worthy opponent, sending the audience laughing as if they understood who that was.
Upon hearing the possible challenge, the pound-for-pound boxing king resolved to call out De La Hoya, reported ESPN.
Mayweather, now 38, said that if the Golden Boy wanted a rematch, he’d get it. He’d willingly put his undefeated record on the line for his old-time arch-rival.
“I mean if he wants to,” Mayweather said in an interview with BlackSportsOnline, “we can rock ‘n’ roll in the same gym.”
See Instagram post here
The undefeated boxer still has one fight in his contract with Showtime. And he has declared many times that he preferred to retire only after a final fight in September.
Mayweather intends to have his bout with De La Hoya in September, reported Kel Dansby in a video posted on BlackSportsOnline.
But apparently De La Hoya is already happy with his Golden Boy promotions.
In a post in a social media site, he commented that, “I’m happy, I’m content, I’m never coming back,” on a video called “Split Decision.” “I’m going to continue growing Golden Boy [Promotions],” De La Hoya declared in his Instagram account on Wednesday, June 17.
See Instagram post here
However, in a recorded interview with TMZ, the 42-year old fighter was quoted to be thinking about fighting Triple G if he’ll ever return to boxing.
So there, the Golden Boy finally cleared out he preferred to fight Gennady Golovkin instead.
[Image via YouTube]