BEWARE: Spoilers for both the Game of Thrones TV series and the Song of Ice and Fire book series abound below! Proceed with caution if you have not watched Season 5 up to Episode 9 of Game of Thrones.
The Season 5 finale of HBO’s Game of Thrones is only days away. It has been a season filled, once again, with controversy. It seems the season started slowly but built up to situations such as Sansa’s wedding night rape scene and Stannis killing his daughter all in the name of the greater “good.” But what can fans expect in the Season 5 finale of Game of Thrones? Let’s have a look at what fans would like to see as opposed to what they will probably get in the Game of Thrones finale:
What Game of Thrones fans want in the Season 5 finale:
- Ramsey Bolton (Iwan Rheon) dead. It has been set up to indicate Bienne (Gwendoline Christie) is waiting and ready to rescue Sansa (Sophie Turner) from the hell that is Ramsey Bolton. While plans were originally foiled when Theon Greyjoy (Alfie Allen) told Ramsey about the rescue plan, fans still hope Brienne will realise Sansa needs help. There is no death too gruesome or prolonged as far as fans are concerned when it comes to how Ramsey should die.
- Theon Greyjoy either dead or redeemed. Theon is a strange character when it comes to the sensibilities of the Game of Thrones fan base. Many want him dead, and with good reason. Not only did he turn on the Stark family once, but then he turned against Sansa in her hour of need. But Theon has been through hell at the hands of Ramsey, so there is a certain level of compassion for this character that sees Game of Thrones fans wanting Theon to do good at the eleventh hour. It would be poetic justice if Theon killed Ramsey after all.
- Stannis (Stephen Dillane) dead. The list of Game of Thrones characters fans want dead in Season 5 is growing by the episode it seems. After Stannis sacrificed his daughter to the Lord of Light in Episode 9, most fans want him gone from the equation. Similarly, Melisandre (Carice van Houten) could join him in a gruesome fate.
- Jon Snow’s (Kit Harrington) parentage revealed. This is a long shot and considering that Jon’s life hangs in the balance in the book series Game of Thrones is based on, there is a chance we will never find out who Jon Snow’s mother really is. Yet, it really makes no sense for Jon’s lineage be questioned so much during all the seasons of Game of Thrones without it being of great importance to the series. Which, of course means, if Jon survives and his lineage is really that important, we will not find out who he really is any time soon.
- Lady Stoneheart. This book character is a Game of Thrones fan favorite and while HBO have said they will not be introducing this character at all to the TV version of Game of Thrones, fans still hold out for her arrival. The fact the tail end of Season 5 has finally bought the white walkers into a main story line adds fuel to the fire that Lady Stoneheart could actually appear. Considering one of Lady Stoneheart’s titles is Mother Mercy and the Episode 10 title is Mother’s Mercy, fans are, understandably, starting to get excited.
- Tyrion (Peter Dinklage). Fans will want to see plenty of their favorite character, Tyrion, but considering he was left stranded in an arena filled with people ready to kill him, it is likely HBO will draw the suspense out long enough for Game of Thrones fans to have to wait until Season 6 to learn Tyrion’s fate. Ditto for Daenerys (Emilia Clarke).
What Game of Thrones fans will get in the Season 5 finale:
- Cersei’s (Lena Headey) walk of shame. This has been teased right from the start of Season 5. Cersei reportedly will do a naked walk of shame through the streets and into a church to atone for her sins. While filming restrictions caused massive delays, added filming costs and the threat of the scene having to be cut, eventually filming commenced and Cersei will get her moment of shame.
- Bran. Remember him? We saw in the Season 4 finale of Game of Thrones and he hasn’t turned up since. While the actor who plays Bran, Isaac Hempstead Wright, wasn’t contracted on for Season 5 at all, it is this sort of thing that HBO loves to throw in a Game of Thrones finale to chew up valuable air time.
- Karsi will return. Karsi was the female wildling that Game of Thrones fans grew to love even though they only saw her for the span of an episode. The actress who played her, Birgitte Hjort Sorensen, has already said Karsi will return and the Season 5 finale seems like as good a time as any for the white walker version of Karsi to make a comeback.
- Plenty of minor story lines will bulk out the Season 5 finale of Game of Thrones. This is where we will see continuations and plot set ups for Season 6. Arya (Maisie Williams) will probably get some air time as well as having another name to add to her kill list. Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) will also probably get plenty of air time as the newer region of Dorne is explored and tensions rise there. Jorah (Iain Glen) might also get air time as well thanks to his greyscale. Although, if he is to make an appearance, that would also mean Tyrion would get air time and that is, potentially, something HBO might not want – suspense-wise – in their finale.
- Margaery (Natalie Dormer) will probably get air time in the Season 5 finale of Game of Thrones as well. Her character’s fate is currently tied pretty closely to Cersei’s at the moment so she should get at least some air time.
- Tommen (Dean-Charles Chapman) will be indecisive. King Tommen is nothing without his mother to hold his hand. Having her incarcerated and then publicly shamed will probably affect his ruling ability further still. And don’t rule out an assassination of him either as the Season 5 premiere suggested – via prophecy – that Cersei would outlive her children.
What do you think will happen in the Game of Thrones Season 5 finale? Let us know your thoughts by commenting below!
[Image credits: HBO]