A Powhatan County, Virginia, family blames their local Petco for the death of their young dog. Allison Marks left her two-year-old golden retriever Colby at the Westchester Commons Petco for what was supposed to be a routine grooming, according to the Examiner.
When she didn’t hear from the Petco after a couple of hours, she called and was told to meet an assistant manager of the store at a local animal hospital. When she arrived, Colby had been pronounced dead, apparently of heat stroke from the dryer used with the grooming cage. According to the veterinarian, the dog’s body temperature was over 105 degrees. The assistant manager conveyed the horrible news that the dog died after a groomer left for a graduation party, apparently forgetting about the dog drying off in a cage.
The family noted that the retriever was playful and healthy. Melody Newman, whose mother owned Colby, stated that the family is in “complete shock,” and she stated the following according to WTVR-TV Channel 6.
“My sister had called and she told me what had happened and I was like, ‘Are you serious?’ Colby was a very playful puppy. He just turned two in February. He was so playful.”
Chesterfield Animal Control is investigating Colby’s death. PETCO released the following statement regarding this case, according to WTVR-TV Channel 6.
“All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby’s passing. The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care. We are taking immediate action to investigate and understand the situation. Our thoughts are with Colby’s family at this difficult time.”
Marks indicated that Colby was a bright sport in her life after losing her husband. The dog, who was a constant companion to her, is now tragically gone. Marks stated the following, according to NBC Channel 12.
“I can’t breathe. I feel like I’ve lost my best friend….He is my baby. He was the most important thing. I mean, he was my companion….I will love you forever and always. My sweet sweet Colby Jack RIP.”
What do you think should happen to the employee who let this dog suffer a horrific death? What should happen to any of that employee’s supervisors? Should they face any type of action for animal abuse? Please leave your comments below.
Dogs often bond strongly to their owners, and people often care greatly about their dogs, as Marks did by having her beloved canine companion groomed. Another golden retriever saved her owner from a violent, drug-using criminal who broke into a home in Wyandotte, Michigan. The homeowner, Sarah Powers, was home alone at the time. When Powers exited her bathroom, she saw a man violently punching her beloved 11-year-old golden retriever, Sadie. The home invasion ended because of Sadie’s heroic actions, as the dog jumped on the criminal and held him back, according to an article in the Inquisitr.
[Photo By Scott Olson/Getty Images]