Unbelievable ‘Silent Hills’ Xbox One Rumor Turns Out To Not Be Believable

A rumor cropped up Friday and reported by major outlets such as IGN that Microsoft was negotiating to purchase Silent Hills from Konami and make it an Xbox One exclusive. More rumors in the gaming industry turn out to be false than true, and this one falls in the former category as confirmed by Xbox Head Phil Spencer.

A fan commented to Spencer on Twitter that he hoped the Silent Hills rumor was true. The Xbox boss broke from Microsoft’s no comment policy when it comes to rumors and shot this one down.

As I reported yesterday for the Inquisitr, multiple aspects of the rumor that originated with Rooster Teeth’s “The Know” YouTube channel pushed it out of the realm of believability. The biggest red flag was the claim that Microsoft was ready to drop “billions” of dollars on Silent Hills. That amount of money is laughable for a niche survival-horror franchise whose sales have grown tepid over the years.

Another claim that the game was 80 percent done and would be ready for release by March 2016 also seemed highly unlikely given the game’s reported state prior to its cancellation.

So, how did Rooster Teeth get fooled? They implicitly trusted a source that had come through for them in the past. Their anonymous industry insider was the one that told them of the Xbox One going Kinect-less was coming in June 2014. That was one rumor that turned out to be true, but this is why double-sourcing rumors for verification is typically recommended.

P.T. (PS4)

So, where does that leave Silent Hills? Still cancelled and sitting in Konami’s collection of franchises that it has to figure out what to do with. The company is turning its focus to mobile gaming after several lackluster outings on consoles.

“The Metal Gear and Silent Hill series, both beloved by countless fans around the globe, are also extremely important to Konami,” the company previously told IGN in a statement. “We have nurtured them with care over many years since their inception, and will continue to produce products for both franchises, but we are not currently at a stage where we can announce the path these future titles will take.”

With Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain coming out later this year and Silent Hills cancelled, an announcement for the next installments of both games will take a while.

[Images via Silent Hills]