Justin Bieber’s attorneys and lawyers for a photographer suing him over an alleged attack back in May 2012 have agreed to delay the scheduled start of a civil suit trial on May 12 in order to try and settle the case.
According to court papers filed by Bieber’s lawyers, a mediation session will take place on May 22 so that both parties can reach a settlement in the civil lawsuit filed by Jose Osmin Hernandez Duran in Los Angeles Superior Court in June 2013. The trial is rescheduled for June 16.
Duran alleges that he tried to photograph Bieber and his then-girlfriend, Selena Gomez, during their movie date at The Commons shopping complex in Calabasas, California, on May 27, 2012.
The paparazzo’s lawyers allege in court papers that Bieber “was enraged that (Duran) and other paparazzi had been photographing Bieber and… Gomez as they walked out of the mall and then as Bieber struggled to pull his huge van out of the crowded mall parking lot.”
Pics published in 2013 showed Duran and Bieber standing inches from one another during the parking lot confrontation.
Last March, it was reported that Gomez has been subpoenaed to a deposition to testify to what she may or may not have seen of the alleged incident.
Following an investigation into the alleged 2012 incident, Los Angeles County prosecutors declined to press charges against Bieber.
In a November 2012 statement, prosecutors cited a lack of evidence supporting claims of an assault made by Duran. Prosecutors said the decision not to prosecute was based on testimony by EMTs and police officers who attended the scene and the hospital that Duran was taken to.
At the time, the Associated Press reported that a doctor found only superficial injuries on Duran, and deputies on the scene did not see any injuries after the encounter.
Several witnesses were also interviewed. None said they saw Bieber kick Duran, and they added the paparazzo continued to take pictures as Bieber and Gomez left the scene, all of which suggests Duran was not injured, or not to the degree he claimed.
An evidential document obtained by the AP prosecutors stated, “All the photos and video taken during this incident by the many photographers were obtained and reviewed. There are no photos of a physical altercation.”
[Images via Getty Images]