4J Studios finally began teasing what is coming to Minecraft for the PlayStation and Xbox consoles on Wednesday. Title Update 24 (TU24) doesn’t have a release window or exact details, yet. However, the developer did drop a big clue as to what is coming.
The TU24 update for Minecraft: Console Editions was teased by 4J Studios through the developer’s usual method, an image posted to Twitter.
There are two things about the image that immediately jump out as indicators of what is coming in the next Minecraft update. The first is the achievement notification for “It’s a sign.” This shows that new achievements are coming to the Xbox 360 Edition. Currently, the last-gen console has only 20 achievements for a possible 400 points, while the Xbox One Edition has 50 achievements worth 1,000 points.
Presumably, the same sort of update will happen on the PlayStation side of the aisle as well. Minecraft: PS3 Edition currently only has 29 Trophies that can be earned, while the PS4 Edition and PS Vita Edition both have 51 Trophies.
The second is the “Hello Alex!” comment from 4J Studios. The new “Alex” default skin was introduced in the 1.8 release of Minecraft on the PC. This suggests that many of the changes from that release are being ported over to the consoles. That’s actually great news for console players, as they are now closer than ever to their PC brethren.
Also called the “Bountiful Update,” the 1.8 update brought many changes, but a large number of them are very PC specific such as the ability to use command blocks to create Scoreboards and new NBT Tags. Since command blocks are supported in the console version of Minecraft to begin with, we can scratch those off the list.
Update: 4J Studios made another post on Twitter that implies TU24 will likely be another small bug fix update. The 1.8 features may have to wait until TU25.
The next update will be a small one, but we’re currently working on something a bit bigger for the update after that :)
— 4J Studios (@4JStudios) April 22, 2015
Continue Original Story
New items from the Bountiful Update that can be supported by Minecraft for the PlayStation and Xbox consoles are as follows.
- Ocean monuments – underwater structures with a Guardian boss mob guarding eight gold blocks
Blocks and items
- Polished diorite
- Polished andesite
- Polished granite
- Coarse dirt
- Red sandstone
- Prismarine bricks
- Dark Primarine
- Prismarine crystals
- Prismarine shard
- Sea Lantern
- Wet sponge
- Slime block
- New types of fence
- New types of fence gate
- New types of wooden doors
- Iron trapdoor
- Armor stand
- Raw mutton
- Cooked mutton
- Rabbit hide
- Raw rabbit
- Cooked rabbit
- Rabbit’s foot
- Rabbit stew
- Potion of leaping
- Guardian Spawn Egg
- Endermite Spawn Egg
- Rabbit Spawn Egg
- Elder Guardians
- Enchanting an item will cost one to three levels as well as one to three pieces of lapis lazuli.
- Leveling up will take longer.
- Villagers have a profession – Farmer, Fisherman, Sheperd, Fletcher, Librarian, Cleric, Armorer, Weapon Smith, Tool Smith, Butcher and Leatherworker – and will trade items based on those professions.
- Trading with villagers will give experience.
- Costs reduced to balance out with the new enchanting system.
- Renaming items will now only cost 1 level.
- Repairing cost now increases exponentially (1, 2, 4, 8, etc.).
- Repairing costs can no longer be kept down by renaming items.
That’s just a high level overview of what might be available for the Minecraft TU24 update. We’ll keep you updated as to what is definitely coming as 4J Studios makes their reveals.
[Images via 4J Studios]