Last week Kim Dotcom, the alleged internet pirate, posted bail and was allowed to return to his home. The Crown, on behalf of the US government, has filed an appeal to place Dotcom back behind bars.
Stuff reports that Dotcom was granted bail by the North Shore District Court last Thursday. The North Shore District Court granted Dotcom bail under a number of conditions. The alleged internet pirate has to wear an electronic ankle bracelet and he is not allowed to use the internet.
The District Court ruled that Dotcom was not enough of a flight risk to deny him bail but now the High Court will examine Dotcom’s case to see if he should be brought back to jail.
PC World reports that Dotcom was the head of the now-shuttered file-sharing website Megaupload. The site was targeted by the entertainment industry in the United States for copyright infringement. Dotcom was arrested, along with a few other people involved with Megaupload, on January 25th. Dotcom was held because he was deemed a flight risk but last week the District Court ruled that Dotcom has little reason to flee the country.
Judge Nevin Dawson said that officials had seized many of Dotcom’s assets and that he probably didn’t have the funds to flee. Dawson also said that it is in Dotcom’s best interest to stay in the country, because if he does flee he will permanently lose all of his assets.
The United States is now trying to extradite Kim Dotcom on charges of copyright infringement, money laundering, racketeering, and wire fraud.