March 28, 2015
Man Found Guilty Of Repeatedly Raping 13-Year-Old Girl Kills Himself After Conviction Out Of Devastation

Michael E. Proctor, 37, was found guilty of raping a 13-year-old girl on February 26. According to Opposing Views, Proctor faced a staggering number of charges, including six counts of rape and several other charges based on accusatory claims that he'd raped an unnamed 13-year-old girl between July of 2013 and April of 2014. He reportedly "performed sex acts on her on at least five occasions."

When the sexually abused girl, now 15, got tired of suffering, she came forward. Although Proctor denied all of the allegations and his attorney, Edward Dewerff, argued the girl's testimony did not provide enough detail to support the claims, he was still found guilty.

State prosecutor Kimberly Lund requested that his bond be revoked based on the severity of his charges, but surprisingly Proctor was granted a reprieve and not sent directly to Montgomery County Jail, reports the Leaf Chronicle. Since he was a first-time offender with no criminal history, the judge allowed him to leave on a number of stipulations. As long as he registered as a sex offender within 48 hours and refrain from contacting the victim, he was considered a free man until his sentencing on April 14.

The judgment was reportedly a bit odd because Tennessee law states that a judge is to immediately revoke bond when a suspect becomes a convicted rapist. If he would have been sent directly to jail, he'd probably still be alive. When Proctor was allowed to go home, he committed suicide. His death was confirmed on Friday, February 27 by Montgomery County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jamie Dexter.

According to the Leaf Chronicle, a detailed report about the nature of Proctor's death has not yet been released. So, it is unclear whether he committed suicide the same day he was convicted or on the following day. In the state of Tennessee, the law states that individuals convicted of rape face a maximum of 25 years behind bars. However, there is a possibility Proctor would not have been ordered to serve his full sentence since he was a first-time offender.

Although Proctor committed suicide last month, his death is now making headlines. Many readers haven't been too remorseful about his conviction and even expressed outrage over the judge's decision to allow him to go home after the conviction. Unfortunately, many have also expressed relief following his actions insisting he "did taxpayers a favor." Needless to say, the comments are quite brash.

"That was awfully considerate of him to kill himself and save the tax-payers millions. One less pedophile to worry about."

"Good...why should the public support him for any amount of time?"

"I don't understand if he was convicted why was he sent home, he couldn't of easily run off!"

What do you think about the convicted rapist's death? Should he have been allowed to go home? Share your thoughts.

[Image via Montgomery County Sheriff's Office]