Perro Aguayo Jr. Autopsy Report Released To Public

Less than a week after his tragic death, the official autopsy report for wrestling star Perro Aguayo Jr. has been released.

The Aguayo report was officially released by the Baja California Attorney General’s Office. According to the report, Aguayo fractured several vertebrae in his neck during a match last Friday night in Tijuana. Specifically, Aguayo fractured his C-1, C-2, and C-3 vertabrae. This is consistent with early reports that had speculated that Perro Aguayo Jr. had suffered some sort of cervical spine trauma.

The autopsy report goes on to declare that Aguayo died while being transported to the hospital. This is a contradiction to some reports which stated that Aguayo was still alive at the hospital. However, it was reported by Gilberto Cota Alanis, deputy prosecutor of Baja California, that staff at the hospital did work on Perro for 90 minutes at the hospital in an attempt to revive him.

The exact cause for the fractures suffered by Aguayo Jr. could not be definitively reported. According to the coroner’s report, Aguayo likely suffered the fractures due to two different moments of impact.

When one observes the video of the match, Aguayo appeared to suffer several significant impacts during his last moments in the match. The first occurred when Perro took a flying head scissors from Rey Mysterio, sending him to the outside where he appeared to hit his head on the ring’s canvas in the process. Following that, Aguayo returned to the ring and was drop kicked by Mysterio. When Aguayo fell to the middle rope following the drop kick, as planned, he appeared to awkwardly land on the ring rope in a way that could be consistent with whiplash. Following that moment, Aguayo’s partner, Manik, was sent into the ring ropes, and his impact on the ring ropes could have possibly caused Aguayo to whiplash as well. At least two of these points of impact likely lead to Aguayo’s spinal trauma.

The doctor who was assigned to the show that night in Tijuana has received quite a bit of criticism for not getting to the ring earlier to assist Aguayo. However, the coroner’s report notes that no medical treatment, regardless of how fast it was administered, could have saved Perro Aguayo Jr.’s life.

Lastly, according to Dave Meltzer over at the Wrestling Observer, the Mexico City commission administered a full physical on Perro Aguayo Jr. just 15 days prior to his death. Meltzer notes that this was likely at the March 6 AAA show in Mexico City. That physical showed no concerns for Aguayo’s ability to perform in the ring.

[Image via]