Schoolboy Knocked Down And Killed By Cop Patrol Car As He Walked Home From Church

In a tragic accident in Birmingham, UK, a 15-year-old boy was knocked down and killed by a police car on routine patrol, as he walked home from church with his younger brother.

The incident took place on Wednesday, outside the Erdington Police Station, when Harry Kirkham was struck by the patrol car. The teen suffered a huge heart attack and was rushed to hospital but later died as a result of the accident.

Having attended a church service at the Potter’s House Christian Fellowship Church, Harry was walking home when his life was taken at around 9 p.m.

A spokesperson from the Sutton Coldfield police station said the officer who was driving the car has been left traumatized by the ordeal, and has been questioned by detectives from the force’s Professional Standards Department.

Chief Inspector Neil Hobson released the following statement,

“No parent should have to lose a child, particularly in such tragic circumstances. Our thoughts are with Harry’s family following their tragic loss. As Harry was hit by a police car West Midlands Police has informed the Independent Police Complaints Commission who continue to be updated. We have launched an investigation to understand what happened last night and to provide answers. The police officer who was driving the car at the time has been left traumatized by the ordeal but is providing every assistance to the investigation.”

A relative of the Kirham family told reporters that the family are “heartbroken” and “too upset to talk. They are still at the hospital now. They are devastated and completely heartbroken,” they said.

Paying tribute to Harry, Pastor Lewis Claxton from the Potter’s House Church, said the boy and his brothers had attended their services for the last three weeks.

“We saw a police car in the road, and we ran over to the young man, where he was put in the recovery position by the other man from the church. I went over to his younger brother who was very upset. We’d had a service at 7.30 p.m. and the brothers had attended for the last three weeks. We had just began to get to know them. It was very traumatic. Harry was a wonderful young man. He was very popular, he was just wonderful. He was full of life. He was friendly and everybody loved him. We only knew him for such a short time but he really was wonderful.”

A makeshift memorial has been set up at the site where Harry was struck, along with flower bouquets from friends and family.