Borderlands: The Handsome Collection will pack in two games worth of non-stop shooting for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 owners. Those that owned Borderlands 2 or The Pre-Sequel on the PS4 or Xbox 360 won’t have to start from scratch, though. Gearbox Software detailed Monday how save transfers will work as well as what bonuses owners will receive.
There are two important caveats that you will need to remember when attempting to do save transfers.
First, for save transfers to work with Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, you will need a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 along with save files for Borderlands 2 and/or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Borderlands 2 for the PS Vita will work, as well. You may be out of luck if you traded in your old console unless you kept your save files and have a friend that has one of those systems.
Second, you can only transfer save files within the same console family. So, you are out of luck if you moved from the Xbox 360 to the PS4 or the PS3 to the Xbox One. Transferring PC game saves is also out of the question for both the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Borderlands: The Handsome Collection.
— Gearbox Software (@GearboxSoftware) March 16, 2015
Gearbox Software will release a patch sometime this week for Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel that will allow for save transfers. Another patch will be available to download for Borderlands: The Handsome Collection when it launches on March 24. Once both sets of patches are downloaded and installed to the new and old consoles, you will need to do the following according to the developers.
- From the main menu of the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions of BL2 or BL:TPS, choose the “Cross Save” (PlayStation consoles) or “Cloud Save” (Xbox consoles), then “Upload Save” function.
- Once the save has been uploaded, choose “Cross Save” or “Cloud Save” then “Download Save” from the main menu of the PS4 / Xbox One Handsome Collection game for which you’re downloading the save.
Interestingly, saves can also be transferred from the PS4 to the PS3 and PS Vita using this method. That’s not the case with the Xbox One and Xbox 360, though. Save transfer is solely from the older console to the newer console.
Players who own Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will also receive 75 Golden Keys per game, a “healthy chunk” of Bada** Rank, plus bonus character customizations and unique weapons from The Pre-Sequel when they sign into SHiFT for the first time in The Handsome Collection. The reason for this is because your Golden Key balance will not transfer along with any items stored in Claptraps’ Secret Stash. Achievements and Trophies will also not transfer.
Here is what will transfer.
- Character level and all mission progress
- Bada** Points (all of these will transfer, but you’ll get to re-spend them)
- Backpack inventory
- Weapon slots
- Cash and Eridum/Moonstones
- All unlocked character customizations (heads/skins) (note that customizations obtained from Telltale’s Poker Night 2 will be added in a patch following launch)
- Items stored in the bank in Sanctuary
Will you be picking up Borderlands: The Handsome Collection? What do you think of these transfer options? Sound off in the comments below.
[Images via Gearbox Software]