When it comes to health and fitness, there is no other time than the present that we know more (or practice more) on both. For fitness, its aggressively positive promotion through charismatic health gurus like Tony Horton has resulted in more people (especially Americans) living healthier lives. For health, scientific experts are confirming the intricacies of a healthy life, not just with fitness, but with food, not smoking, and moderate to no drinking. As a matter of fact, it has been reported here on the Inquisitr, that both community and stress management are actually far more important to health than aforementioned factors previously written.
However, one factor that should get more attention is the amount of sleep needed. Numerous studies have linked getting a good night’s sleep to many health benefits. Why, even sleeping with a partner has been proven to be beneficial. Now, there are studies that show that sleeping in your birthday suit can be beneficial, too. That’s right! Going to bed in the buff, nude, or naked is good for you!
Statistically, only ten percent of people truly sleep in their birthday suits, a true minority to those who prefer sleeping in pajamas, common house clothes, lingerie, etc. Yet, according to an article by Cosmopolitan and followed-up by CBS, everyone should be doing it for six primary reasons.
- It Gives Your Crotch Air To Breathe: This is good for both men and women but is probably more important for women. Jennifer Landa, MD, author of The Sex Drive Solution for Women, says it is healthier for a woman’s vagina to sleep nude. While it is normal to have yeast and bacteria down there, clothing may create a warm environment, resulting in an overgrowth and possible infection.
- Naked Sleep Is Better Sleep: As of the publication of this article, it is understandable why people living in the northeast right now may want to wear thick pajamas. But during sleep, it is important for bodies to be at a cooler temperature. Lisa Shives, MD, a member of the National Sleep Foundation’s board of directors, stated that too much covering of one’s body during sleep can be a factor for insomnia.
“Your body temp progressively declines as you sleep, which is a natural tendency of the body, so being too warm with heavy PJs and blankets can disrupt that.”
- You Will Look Hotter And Younger: Natasha Turner, a naturopath and author of best-selling novel The Hormone Diet, states that being too warm at night disrupts the release of both melatonin and growth hormones. Both hormones are scientifically recognized as anti-aging, keeping skin and hair looking awesome.
“As your body temperature drops, growth hormone is released and works its regenerative magic.”
- You Will Lose Pesky Belly Fat: Science has shown proven relationships of weight to stress. The culprit for said weight gain is cortisol, the hormone associated with stress. A good night’s sleep achieved through sleeping in the buff brings a higher chance of the body lowering cortisol through less tossing and turning. If you were to wake up with too much cortisol in your system, it makes you hungrier, which means eating more than a filling breakfast.
- Your Confidence Will Get A Significant Boost: Most of us are never truly happy with our bodies. Even the healthiest looking individuals have one thing or another they are insecure about. Thankfully, sleeping in the nude may be a natural remedy for such insecurity. Jennifer Landa provides insight on how said act is associated with confidence.
“We can tune in to sensations like the feeling of the sheets and the coolness of the air, which can be very sexy and feeling sexy increases confidence.”
- Quantity And Quality Of Sex Life Will Increase: This point actually fits with the aforementioned study that sleeping with someone in bed results in a good night’s sleep. Jennifer Landa also affirms this stating that skin-to-skin contact will increase the release of feel-good chemicals like the “cuddle hormone,” oxytocin. How feel-good is oxytocin? Apparently, a lot of it is released during orgasm and sexual desire. As for health benefits, oxytocin helps fight depression, contributes to gut health, and healthy blood pressure.
Now that you know the six reasons why sleeping in your birthday suit is beneficial, will you actually try it out? For any of you who experience any of the six above after going commando in the sheets, provide your testimony so that others may gain the confidence to sleep nude too. Who knows, maybe sleeping naked is someone’s cure for insomnia, or possibly the only bit of spice they have if their lives so happen to be mundane.
[Image via Bing]