WWE: Vince McMahon And Triple H Take On The ‘Cancel WWE Network’ Movement

The “cancel WWE Network” may pose a threat to the business, and you would think Vince McMahon and Triple H would go on the offensive. They have, but instead of attacking fans’ criticisms or defending their views they simply said thank you.

In a related report by the Inquisitr, Vince McMahon and Triple H have also gotten very good at fooling everyone on the internet lately with their backstage stealthiness. It’s believed that Triple H will call out Sting at Fast Lane, but it was also believed Sting would show at Royal Rumble so you never know.

Earlier in the day, the WWE officially announced the WWE Network subscriber numbers had reached the one million mark.

“We’re thrilled that we’ve surpassed the 1 million subscriber milestone less than a year after launching WWE Network and in advance of WrestleMania, our biggest event of the year on March 29,” said Vince McMahon. “We remain focused on delivering an outstanding value proposition for ours fans by adding new content and new features in the coming year.”

The timing of this official announcement is suspicious from the start since normally the WWE Network subscriber numbers are announced with the quarterly earning, which in this case will come on February 12, 2015. The announcement was obviously intended to combat those who cancel WWE Network before they could potentially make a dent on this important milestone since it apparently takes several days for the WWE Network cancellation process to finish.

The timing also prevented the WWE stock price from tanking since it was on a downward slope up until the announcement was made. The WWE stock was up 19.27 percent for the day, closing at $12.50 per share, although after-hours trading currently shows a slight drop.

Vince McMahon and Triple H also took this PR offensive to social media.

The reason the WWE bosses are smothering the “cancel WWE network” movement with love is because their company is living on the edge financially speaking. As was previously reported by the Inquisitr, it’s claimed the company has cut costs and increased WWE layoffs so they could become profitable with only 750,000 subscribers, when originally their budget called for 1.4 million fans willing to plunk their cash down. The hard part is keeping these fans, since even the press release admits the 37 percent increase during the last quarter was “driven primarily by a successful free November promotion.”

That promotion also happened to coincide with a new WWE Network membership plan that allows fans to cancel their subscription early with no repercussions. This means Vince McMahon and Triple H essentially introduced a two-edged sword, since fans can justify signing up just as easily as walking away. Some fans may wield this ability like a weapon in order to force the WWE bosses to make their wishes a priority. Daniel Bryan Vs. Brock Lesnar, anyone?