St. Louis: Man Charged In Downtown Rush Hour Murder

Fox2now reported that a 49-year-old St Louis man identified as Willie Barnes has been charged in connection with the rush hour murder that took place at approximately 8:15 a.m. Friday.

The St. Louis rush hour murder appears to be a case of if I can’t have you, no one can. It was reported by police officials that Barnes was the ex-boyfriend of the victim, identified as 32-year-old Cheri Simpson of St. Louis, MO.

According to police, it all began in downtown St. Louis when Barnes spotted Simpson’s vehicle in traffic and signaled for her to pull over. When she ignored his request, he followed her to the Intersection of S. Tucker Boulevard and Chouteua Avenue.

When Simpson’s vehicle came to a halt at a traffic light, Barnes pulled beside her in his Suburban and the two exchanged a few words. The conversation that transpired between Simpson and Barnes has not been released to the public. However, it appears the conversation was confrontational, and it ended in a fatal shooting.

In addition to Simpson, who was driving, there were two passengers in the vehicle. The victim’s 32-year-old boyfriend was sitting next to her in the front seat, and another male sat alone in the back. Neither of the male passengers has been identified at this time.

After their exchange of words, Barnes opened fire, striking Simpson twice in the shoulder. Simpson’s boyfriend was shot twice, once in each hand, and the male in the backseat was uninjured, KMOV reports.

Simpson was taken to a nearby hospital where she later died. She leaves behind two young children, a 4-year-old and a 13-year-old.

Barnes fled the scene, but within 90 minutes, he was arrested and taken into custody. While in custody, the police discovered a.38 special revolver on him, which they believe is the weapon that was used to shoot and kill Simpson.

According to Simpson’s family, Barnes had been physically and mentally abusive for several years. One family member even warned her of her possible fate.

“I kept telling her, he is going to get you and he is going to do anything, anything to hurt you, and it may come to the point where he might kill you.”

The rush hour murder is the sixth St. Louis homicide to take place during a 12 hour period.

Barnes was charged with first-degree murder, two counts of armed criminal action, first-degree assault, and shooting a firearm at a vehicle, person, and building.

The judge set his bail at $500,000, cash-only.

[Image via Fox2now]