There are many ways to obtain an Exotic weapon in Destiny. It can come as a random reward for completing a mission, Strike, or Crucible match or simply purchased from Xur and his weekly visits. Another way is through Exotic bounties. This is a guide to complete the “A Dubious Task” bounty to receive the Invective Exotic shotgun.
The steps to obtain the Invective shotgun are among the easiest of all the Exotic bounties, but will require some patience at Crucible and some Glimmer. Here are the steps that you will need to take once you accept the “A Dubious Task” bounty.
- Talk to Ikora Rey to obtain “A Request from Ikora Rey Part I.”
- Complete a total of 5 Strikes without dying to obtain “A Request from Ikora Rey – Completed.”
- Return to Ikora Rey to obtain “A Request from Ikora Rey Part II.”
- Earn a Kills/Death spread of 25 in the Crucible to obtain “A Request from Ikora Rey II- Completed.”
- Return to Ikora Rey to obtain “A Request from Ikora Rey Part III.”
- Complete a Weekly Challenge mission to obtain a Clot of Darkness.
- Return to Ikora Rey to obtain Invective (Uncharged).
- Purchase an Invective component from the Gunsmith for 50 special weapon ammo synthesis packs to obtain Invective (Charged).
- Return to Ikora Rey to obtain the Invective Exotic shotgun.
- Completing the 5 Strikes without dying is relatively easy as long as you play it safe. Just fire up the Strike playlist that is appropriate for your level and complete them one after another. The Weekly and Nightfall strikes count too, but those aren’t always easy to get through without dying. Don’t be rude and go AFK and let someone else do the work for you though.
- The 25 Kills to Death spread in Crucible can be a little more challenging, but Assists are counted as a kill too to make things a little easier. Just pick the gametype that you do the best at and play to your strength, whether it be running and gunning with a shotgun or hanging back with a sniper rifle or scout rifle.
- Run either the Weekly Heroic or Nightfall Strike to obtain the Clot of Darkness. Whether you want to wait until the weekly reset on Tuesday or run either a second time if already completed is up to you.
- 50 special weapon ammo synthesis packs will costs 12,500 Glimmer, unless you already have a good collection. You can also go farm Glimmer on the Dark Beyond mission with an active Black Wax Idol or the Exclusion Zone mission on Mars with an active Supply Code.
How Do I Get An Exotic Bounty?
Getting an Exotic bounty is random, so you are at the mercy of Destiny‘s RNG (random number generator) like so much else in the game. Completing regular Vanguard and Crucible bounties daily and turning them all in at once with Xander 99-40, the Bounty Tracker, seems to be the best shot though. This is simply because you are increasing your chances at receiving a bounty due to the number of tries. Turning them in one at a time works just as well though, aside from increasing your trips to the tower.
The Postmaster will also occasionally give out Exotic bounties. This can occur when you reach a new Vanguard, Crucible, or Faction level and go to the Postmaster to collect your reward.
Other Exotic Quest Guides
- A Light in the Dark – Thorn
- A Voice in the Wilderness– Super Good Advice
- Shattered Memory Fragment – Pocket Infinity
- Toland’s Legacy – Bad Juju
The “An Unknown Patron” bounty for the Fate of All Fools scout rifle is not in the game yet. Until then, this guy is the only one in the world has one. When the bounty is officially available in the game it will be added to the list.
Other Destiny Guides
- Crota’s End Guide – Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- How to complete ‘Urn of Sacrifice’ Quest for ‘The Dark Below’
- How to find ‘Husk of the Pit’ rifle and upgrade to ‘Nechrochasm’
[Image via Destinypedia]