Destiny has released their End of Year update today with some very impressive statistics, along with some of the favorite memories of the year from the developers on the game.
As of the post by Desinty's community manager Deej, over 12,869,066 players have picked up a controller on any of the four consoles it has been released on. Over 22,932,276 Guardian characters have been created. All told, players of Destiny have accumulated 872,404,449 hours (or 99,863 years) of game time destroying the minions of the darkness.
Deej also pointed out some interesting statistics to put these number in perspective.
- In the span of time you have spent playing Destiny, the Curiosity Rover could have made the voyage to Mars more than one hundred thousand times*
- If the Guardians populating Destiny occupied a single city, it would be as large as New York City and Los Angeles, combined
- Atheon has been shattered 2.4 Million times
- At least a dozen of those kills were without cheese
- Crota has been Ended 769 times, and rapidly counting
- But only once by a Fireteam of one (step it up, everyone else)
Destiny's year-end update also brought to light a few of the 500 people who work on the game, its second expansion, and the forthcoming sequel, of which there is no official announcement just yet. Different staff members on the team listed their favorite community creations. Some of the more notable call outs include:
- When Dan Bull captured the defiant spirit of Destiny in a badass rap anthem.
Jerramen O'Donnell, Networking Tester
- I can't leave a public zone without checking this first.
David Candland, UI Design Lead
- I love watching Sparrow trick videos like this, and have been excited to see people making games for themselves like this.
Brendan Walker, AI Engineer
- Simple, elegant, fast.
Jason Jones, Co-Founder
Destiny will not have any updates until next year and details will not be forthcoming until January. In the mean time, a promise of goodies was made which should tide over Guardians for the holiday season.
"We should note that you should be on the lookout for some small stocking stuffers sometime after the Holidays have come and gone – a small token of our gratitude."
[Image Source | Destiny]