Green Monday is the new kid on the Christmas shopping deals block. The massive online post-Black Friday deals have been described as “the poor man’s Cyber Monday.” Green Monday is now the third biggest online shopping day of the year.
The second Monday in December is Green Monday. The phrase was coined by eBay in 2009 to describe the largest shopping day in December. The “green” in Green Monday has nothing to do with being environmentally friendly. The busiest shopping day in December got its name because green is the color of money.
This year, Cyber Monday grabbed up more than $2 billion in sales, an increase of about 17 percent over last year. Black Friday sales garnered about $50.9 billion, according to National Retail Foundation statistics – down 11 percent from last year.
Green Monday had $1.4 billion in sales, an increase of 10 percent over the Christmas shopping dollars spent last year. “It’s not as big as Cyber Monday, but it’s bigger than Black Friday for Thanksgiving online sales,” Fat Wallet representative Brent Shelton said about Green Monday sales.
The list of mega retailers using the phrase Green Monday and offering specific sales this year include Walmart, Sears, Macy’s, and J.C. Penney. “The term Cyber Monday II will also be used by others. Either way, it’s a big online shopping day for us, Shelton added. In 2013, toys and electronics discounts of 20 percent to 50 percent were offered on Green Monday, and at least the same level of discounts is expected this year.
Brads Deals spokesman Sean Graw had this to say about Green Monday. “This reminds me of Free Shipping Day. It’s another drummed-up consumer event that doesn’t mean much, but a lot of retailers and other deal sites try to push it pretty hard.” A total of 70 percent of retailers in America are will be offering Green Monday deals this year.
Free Shipping Days is a December 18 Christmas shopping event. Although popular stores like Levi’s and American Eagle will reportedly be participating in Free Shipping Day this year, many stores already offer free shipping if a specific purchase amount is met or the shopper belongs to a customer membership group, such as Prime on Amazon.
Amazon Green Monday deals highlights.
- Ultimate Ears MINI BOOM Wireless Bluetooth Speaker — $69.99 — the Ultimate Ears MINI BOOM Speaker.
- Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Dock — $59.99 — wireless headphones that connect to your phone using radio frequencies, extending the range up to 300 feet.
- Logitech Harmony Home Control System — $112.19 — the Harmony Home Control System lets you control entertainment system with your smartphone. It works with up to 270,000 different devices.
- PNY Attaché USB 2.0 Flash Drive — $10.99 through $31.99 — Storage sizes range from 8-128GB.
- Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker — $44.99 — this Bluetooth speaker offers 10 hours of playback time, 33-foot range, and has two 40mm drivers for enhanced sound quality.
Walmart Green Monday deals are as follows: “During Green Monday 2014, you’ll find the season’s most-wanted Christmas gifts, including popular new video games, state-of-the-art entertainment centers and the fastest tablets on the market. You’ll also save on interactive toys that are on every kid’s wish list, at low prices you’re going to love. Our Green Monday deals showcase the best holiday gifts, including a huge assortment of collectible items from Disney’s Frozen,” according to a Green Monday sale sneak peak statement on the retailer’s website.
[Image via: Shutterstock.com]