Shooting At Nordstrom: New Details Emerge Following Deadly Black Friday Incident

New details are emerging after a shooting at Nordstrom caused widespread panic on the busiest shopping day of the year. The shooting took place on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile, at the Nordstrom department store located on the corner of State and Grand.

The shooter was a man, 31, who shot a seasonal female Nordstrom employee before turning the gun on himself. The Cook County medical examiner’s office has verified that the male was deceased when first responders arrived at the scene. His 22-year-old victim survived, but is in critical condition at Chicago’s Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Fox News Chicago said the gunfire erupted in the cosmetics department, where the female shooting victim, who has not yet been identified, works. The station reported that shoppers were so terrified that they fled the store, leaving bags and coats behind.

Chicago Police Department chief of detectives John Escalante told reporters with the Tribune that the incident is still under active investigation, and that the female shooting victim was the male suspect’s girlfriend or ex-girlfriend.

“She was working up on the second floor when he approached her, fired one shot, which struck her. He then turned the gun to himself and shot and killed himself.”

No other injuries directly related to the shooting have been reported, but two people told reporters at the hospital that they had been injured in the commotion that followed, as people were attempting to flee Nordstrom.

According to the police report, the shooter, who has been identified as Marcus Dee, approached his victim at the store. After the two spoke with one another, he took out a gun. As the woman was walking away from him, he fired a shot at her from behind, hitting her in the head and neck region before firing a shot into his own head.

Cook County Court records from last April show that Dee had petitioned to have a judge issue a temporary restraining order against the victim for stalking, but that the request was denied.

The shooting occurred at about 8:30 p.m. Friday, approximately half an hour before Nordstrom was scheduled to close. The Magnificent Mile Nordstrom is directly connected to the Shops at North Bridge mall. Although the mall itself is open for business, Nordstrom remains closed due to the ongoing investigation.

Tourists from Singapore were visiting the mall at the time of the shooting. The 34-year old man and his 31-year-old female travel asked not to be identified, but relayed that they couldn’t quite believe their eyes.

“Does this normally happen on Black Friday? What an experience. Welcome to America.”

According to Chicago Police, the Black Friday shooting at Nordstrom has been determined to be of a domestic nature, and more details will be released as the investigation progresses.

[Image courtesy of WBAL TV 11]