GTA Online files have become a tricky problem for gamers upgrading from Rockstar's bestseller on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Much like the launch of Grand Theft Auto 5 last year, there appears to be some bugs to iron out on the developer's side.
One of the biggest and most important parts of the transition has been stumping players since the GTA 5 PS4 and Xbox One ports were released. Many are having problems getting their save files from one console to its successor.
Your GTA Online files should transfer with ease using the following instructions. You will need a GTA 5 save file from the Xbox 360 or PS3, a Rockstar Social Club account linked to your console profile, and a copy of Grand Theft Auto 5 on your PS4 or Xbox One.
For the PlayStation 4 GTA 5 transfer, first make sure you have a PSN account and a PlayStation Plus membership. This also works if you're transferring from an Xbox 360 save file, as long as you have an Xbox Gold account.
- Make sure your Rockstar account is linked to your console account. You can find out by logging into your Rockstar Social Club account.
- Start the game on your PS4, log in to the PlayStation Network, and select GTA Online from the Pause menu.
- Edit your character the way you want it before you initiate the transfer.
- If you have a character on both the PS3 and Xbox 360, you must choose one. You cannot transfer both to the same console.
- Once the transfer is complete, select your character and let the next-level shenanigans continue.
- Make sure your Xbox Live account is connected to your Rockstar Social Club account by logging in to it.
- Start your Xbox One copy of Grand Theft Auto 5, log in to Xbox Live, and select GTA Online from the Pause menu.
- Agree to the transfer after editing your character, and if you have GTA 5 save files on both the Xbox 360 and PS3, choose one. Again, you cannot transfer both to the same console.
- Select your transferred character and start playing.
Purchased money, Published Job Playlists, and gameplay records will not transfer between Sony and Microsoft's consoles. This means transfers between Xbox 360 and PlayStation 4, or PS3 and Xbox One, will lose those items in the transition.
[Image via GameSpot]