News regarding the ongoing 2011 NBA lockout continues to get worse and worse.
After meeting with representatives from all 30 teams, National Basketball Player’s Association (NBPA) president Derek Fisher and executive director Billy Hunter announced the NBPA’s unanimous decision to ultimately reject the NBA’s final offer, likely ending hope for a 2011-12 NBA season.
“A lot of individual players have a lot of things at stake in their careers and where they stand, so we feel its important to all our players … that we not only try to get a deal done for today, but also for the body of players who will come into this league for this decade and beyond,” Fisher said.
In addition, the player’s union will decertify (disband) — Hunter says they are now a “trade association” — and file an anti-trust suit against the NBA.
“We’re prepared to file this antitrust action against the NBA,” Hunter said of the labor dispute that began with a lockout of players July 1. “That’s the best situation where players can get their due process.”
Before the meeting, this new proposal from the NBA had been stressed as an “ultimatum,” with Commissioner David Stern adding that any forthcoming deal would include decreased percentages (from 50% to 47% in regards to the split) and even more limited bargaining flexibility.
The only shot now for a 2011-2012 season is for Stern to go back on his “ultimatum” and come up with an improved deal within 48 hours.
Below is a video of Commissioner Stern’s reaction to the player’s announcement: