Some people may not know this, but the topic of school lunches is actually a very important one when it comes to our First Lady, Michelle Obama. She’s been trying her best to push for healthier lunches and food items in public schools, including the removal of sugary drinks and processed foods. On the topic in general, The Inquisitr reported a very entertaining look at 10 school lunches around the world back in 2010.
Now, Buzzfeed is presenting a brand new video showcasing school lunches around the world. This time, it has been updated for 2014, and it is going viral.
Uploaded on the official YouTube channel of Buzzfeed Blue on October 8, 2014, the video now has over 800,000 views with over 8,500 likes. Only a little over 550 people aren’t willing to appreciate a culture’s version of a school lunch. Also, as of the publication of this article, this video is in YouTube’s Most Popular List.
Just for recap purposes, below are the twelve lunches featured in the video. It probably is safe to say that ones that don’t mention any drink products must be giving their school kids water.
- United Kingdom – Shepherd’s Pie, Vegetables, Pear, Yogurt
- United States – Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich, Chips, Apple, Go-gurt, Milk
- Cuba – Rice, Ropa Vieja
- Norway – Open Sandwich, Strawberries, Yogurt
- Nigeria – Rice, Beans, Plantains
- France – Grapefruit, Chicken, Salad, Cheese, Baguette, Rice Pudding
- Russia – Porridge, Sausage
- Mexico – Torta
- Japan – Rice, Mackerel, Pickled Spinach
- Philippines – Rice, Lechon Kawali
- India – Rice, Dal Makhani, Saag Paneer
- Korea – Purple Rice, Soup, Kimchi, Bulgogi, Radish
Now that you’ve seen some school lunches from around the world, what are your opinions? Do they look tantalizing or healthy for children, or are they simplistic and lacking? Please let everyone know in the comments below.
[Image via Bing]