Walmart just released their 2014 list of hot holiday toys, and it’s chock full of toys that many children will be wishing for this holiday season. The “Top 20 Toys” list features toys that the retailer predicts will be best sellers during this year’s Christmas shopping season, including Leapfrog LeapTV, Razor Crazy Cart Spinning Go Kart, Jakks Snow Glow Elsa Doll, and Vtech’s Kidizoom Smartwatch.
— #SocialMedia NC (@greensboro_nc) September 10, 2014
The much-awaited Toys R Us “Hot Holiday Toy List” is yet to be released, with Walmart upstaging the popular toy retailer this year with the early release of their toy list. In 2013, Toys R Us released their list on September 18, but as of today, last year’s list is still on the company’s website.
Which toys made it onto Walmart’s 2014 “Top 20 Toys” list for the upcoming holiday shopping season? ABC reports that this year’s list includes a good mix of creative toys, electronics, and many toys that are modern takes on “throwback classics.” Toys based on popular movies, like Frozen, also top the list.
Here’s the list of toys that Walmart thinks parents, or Santa, will be getting requests for this year.
- Mattel Hot Wheels Street Remote Control Flying Car
- Nerf N-Strike Elite Demolisher 2-in-1 Blaster
- Zing Airstorm Firetech Bow
- Vtech Go! Go! Smart Wheels Ultimate Amazement Park Playset
- Mattel Barbie Glam Camper
- Mattel Hot Wheels Track Builder Total Turbo Takeover
- Fisher Price Little People Musical Preschool
- Spin Master Flutterbye Light Up Fairy
- Spin Master Zoomer Dino
- Leapfrog LeapTV
- Vtech Kidizoom Smartwatch
- Hasbro FurReal Friends Get Up and GoGo My Walkin’ Pup Pet
- Spin Master Air Hogs Zero Gravity Laser Racer
- Razor Crazy Cart Spinning Go Kart
- Jakks Snow Glow Elsa Doll
- Just Play Doc McStuffins Get Better Talking Mobile
- Disney Palace Pets Magic Dance Pumpkin
- Spin Master Sew Cool Sewing Machine
- Moose Toys Beados Quick Dry Design Station
- Maya Group Make Your Case Cell Phone Cover Kit
Parents who are already stressing out over their holiday gift budget will find some help with Walmart’s free holiday layaway program that started on September 12. This year, shoppers will not only be able to put the hottest holiday toys on layaway, Walmart is offering an expanded list of eligible products, including electronics and small appliances, that qualify for their three-month program. After leaving a deposit of $10 or 10 percent, whichever is greater, customers must make a final payment and pick up their purchases by December 15.
Walmart seems to be working hard to win over budget-minded shoppers who may be hesitant to splurge on gifts this year. The retail giant is hoping that the free layaway program, combined with extra cashiers on duty during peak shopping hours from Thanksgiving through Christmas, will draw even the most hesitant shoppers into their stores.
The Los Angeles Times reports that Walmart plans to keep all of their cash registers open at more than 3,800 stores during the height of the holiday shopping season to help keep lines moving for shoppers who are not only short on money, but on time as well.
Do you rely on the hot holiday toy lists to make your Christmas shopping list?