Since the first glamorous Hollywood movie stars graced the red carpet, celebrities have seemed to defy the aging process. Everyone knows that celebrities go under the knife to be puffed up and pulled tight to create a more youthful appearance.
This seems awfully drastic (not to mention costly) for most housewives and mothers who would also like to reverse the signs of their own aging. But other effective solutions exist for us.
Dangers of anti-aging
“The dangers of anti-aging” sounds like an oxymoron. How can anti-aging be bad for your health? But in the arena of cosmetic surgery and chemically induced anti-aging treatments, the attempt to appear younger usually comes with a cost.
Risks and side effects of surgery
All surgery carries risks, whether cosmetic or internal. The risks associated with cosmetic surgeries are higher for patients with a history of obesity, lung disease, diabetes, or cardiovascular disease.
Possible complications include:
- Excessive fluid buildup under the skin
- Excess bleeding that requires additional surgical procedures
- Complications stemming from anesthesia
- Blood clots or pneumonia
- Infections at the site of incision
- Large and noticeable scarring
- Nerve damage that results in numbness or tingling
Botox risks and side effects
While something as simple as a Botox injection may seem totally safe, there are actually a number of associated risks. These include, but are not limited to:
- Muscle weakness or twitching
- Unusual heartbeat patterns
- Chest pain and flu-like symptoms
- Vision problems
- Drainage or crusting around the eyes
- Bleeding, bruising, and swelling
Potential dangers of tanning
Whether natural or artificial, tanning carries an enormous array of risks. Some are small and others are large, but none are desirable. The risks of tanning include:
- Severe sunburn
- Skin cancer
- Premature aging
- Eye damage, such as photokeratitis or cataracts
- Weakening of the immune system
Chemical peel side effects and risks
Many people are drawn by the power of chemical peels to remove the signs of aging and rejuvenate skin. While some individuals certainly derive benefits from chemical peels, the treatments don’t come without cost.
Some of the common side effects and risks include:
- Tender, stinging skin
- Excessive redness
- Unsightly skin peeling
- The sensation of a severe sunburn
- Itching, flaky skin
Safe alternatives to risky anti-aging treatments
The good news for people looking to reduce the signs of aging and rejuvenate their skin is that there are safe alternatives. The usefulness of many of these natural ingredients is only now being understood, which allows people to experience the benefits for the first time.
Typical natural alternatives include basic vitamins, alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), and natural oils.
- Vitamins. Vitamins C, E, and A are all effective ingredients of numerous skincare products. Vitamin C works by increasing collagen synthesis, which thickens the skin. It also helps prevent skin damage by reducing sensitivity to the sun. Vitamin E supports the skin’s moisture-retaining capabilities. Vitamin A is also useful in increasing collagen synthesis, as well as minimizing scars and increasing cell turnover.
- AHAs. AHAs aid the skin’s exfoliation process and encourage fresh layers to replace old, damaged cells. These AHAs are found in fresh apples and other fruits.
- Natural oils. Oils have always been a popular natural source of anti-aging. Whether you choose sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, sesame seed oil, or anything in between, the high percentage of fatty acids found in these oils makes them perfect for moisturizing dry, damaged skin.
The magic of goji berries
While vitamins, AHAs, and natural oils are familiar alternative anti-aging treatments, other substances have only recently been introduced. One such ingredient is goji berries.
Grown on evergreen shrubs in subtropical regions of Mongolia, China, and the Tibetan Himalayas, these berries are a member of the Solonaceae family – otherwise known as the nightshades.
The benefits of these berries are tremendous. Their properties have given them the affectionate title of “Youth Molecules.”
Benefits of goji berries
The “youth molecules” found in goji berries are effective in improving immune activity, reducing inflammation, lowering oxidation, polysaccharides, and much more.
Though they’ve been used for a number of different health benefits, companies such as L’dara have started to employ these “youth molecules” in a double patent pending anti-aging serum. The benefits have been incredible, and people have labeled it an effective, safe anti-aging treatment option.
Contrary to the way most people go about anti-aging, it can be safe. There’s no need to inject artificial substances or undergo invasive treatments.
By sticking to natural ingredients and safe applications, you can develop younger, healthier skin. Research goji berries for more information on the associated benefits.