The Destiny beta for the PS4, Xbox One, PS3, and Xbox 360 is winding down, but Bungie Community Manager David “DeeJ” Dague answered the question of how many locations there will be on each planet during a Twitch stream on Saturday. Combine this with information culled by mining the Destiny beta and we get an idea of the amount of content that will be available when the game launches on September 9.
On a 2old2play livestream, Deej confirmed that each planet will only have one location to explore when the game launches.
“We’re calling them destinations. You go to Mars, you go to the moon, you go to Venus, you’ve got Earth,” DeeJ said when asked if there will be more one area to explore on each planet.
“We’ve revealed everything that you’ll explore in the first version of the game,” he continued. “You’ll be Earth. Your story takes you from the wastes of the Cosmodrome. The Cosmodrome was essentially our Cape Canaveral of the Golden Age. It’s where we launched off as a global society, where we rushed out into the solar system to colonize and use what the Traveler gave us.”
Even though there’s only one area to explore per location, the beta showed that there is a large amount of area to cover. Parts of Old Russia are either blocked off by barriers or by Fallen and Hive enemies that are much higher than the level 8 cap in the beta. In the brief 2-hour period that the Moon was made available in the Destinybeta Saturday night, I was able to explore deep into the Hellmouth for more than 30 minutes before I began hitting barriers and it felt like I was not close to the endgame for the section shown in previous trailers. There is more on the surface of the Moon to explore as well.
In all, there are seven different “destinations” in Destiny for players to experience — the Earth, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, and The Reef (asteroid belt), plus the Crucible multiplayer maps. DeeJ confirmed that the areas seen in the Crucible maps for Mars and Venus during the beta will be part of the regular destinations as well.
The folks behind DestinyDB (via Reddit) took their time to datamine the Destiny beta and discovered the following information about the destinations and missions that will be available in the game. There’s more to come though as data on Mercury, Saturn, and other locations has not been discovered yet. Some known locations are also missing from the list so this looks like a good load of content to start out with.
Warning: The below may be considered spoilers.
Earth Story Missions
Old Russia, Earth – The cradle of humanity – a world of ancient glory, waiting to be retaken.
- A Guardian Rises (level 1)
- Restoration (levels 2, 5)
- The Dark Within (levels 3, 6)
- The Warmind (levels 4, 7)
- The Last Array (levels 5, 8)
Earth Story Challenges
- The Queen’s Wrath (Kill Order; level 24)
- Nightfall: The Devils’ Lair (levels 22, 26, 28)
- The Devils’ Lair (levels 6, 8)
Moon Story Missions
Oceans of Storms – An ancient evil stirs beneath the shattered surface of our moon.
- The Dark Beyond (levels 6, 9)
- The Sword of Crota (levels 7, 10)
- The World’s Grave (levels 7, 10)
- Shrine of Oryx (levels 8, 11)
- Chamber of Night (levels 8, 11)
- Nightfall: The Summoning Pits (levels 22, 26, 28)
- The Summoning Pits (level 12)
The Reef Story Missions
The Reef, Asteroid Belt – Dare to strike a bargain with the ruthless Queen.
- The Awoken (level 10)
- A Key Awaits (level 12)
Venus Story Missions
Ishtar Sink – The jungles of Venus conceal great treasures – and terrible power.
- A Stranger’s Call (levels 10, 12)
- Ishtar Collective (levels 10, 12)
- The Archive (levels 11, 13)
- Scourge of Winter (levels 11, 13)
- Eye of a Gate Lord (levels 12, 14)
- Nightfall: The Nexus (levels 22, 26, 28)
- Nightfall: Winter’s Run (levels 22, 26, 28)
- The Nexus (level 14)
- Winter’s Run (level 14)
Mars Story Missions
Meridian Bay – In the sandswept carcass of a lost city, dark forces gather for war.
- Exclusion Zone (levels 15, 17)
- The Garden’s Spire (levels 16, 18)
- A Rising Tide (levels 17, 19)
- The Buried City (levels 17, 19)
- The Black Garden (levels 18, 20)
- Nightfall: Cerberus Vae III (levels 22, 26, 28)
- Cerberus Vae III (level 18)
- Dust Palace (level 18)
Crucible maps confirmed so far.
- Twilight Gap
- Rusted Lands
- Exodus Blue
- First Light
- The Anomaly
- Firebase Delphi
- Blind Watch
- Shores of Time
- The Burning Shrine