John Legend has spent many years working hard to become a success. It’s the same hard work that Legend and his wife, Chrissy Teigen, will use to make a successful future.
Legend, 36, was recently at the Interact 2014, Oracle’s marketing cloud conference, according to Forbes.com, where Legend shared his 5 tips to marketing creativity improvement. Legend lists his five as:
- Study the greats – “It makes you realize what it takes to be the best.” Legend acknowledged the artists who came before him and what he learned from them. Legend advised “if you want to be great, know what great looks like.”
- Collaborate – “To be a great creative person, you have to be able to be a great collaborator. It opens your mind and pushes you in different directions than you may not have gone by yourself.”
- Be intentional – “While you should always be open to inspiration, you shouldn’t just flow around and wait for it to come to you. When I want to write a song, I actually book studio time, or I book an engineer and a co-writer to come over to my home studio. That way I feel like I’m accountable for my time and the time of others so I won’t procrastinate.”
- Be prolific – “You have to scrap a lot of ideas before you put anything out. For my last album I wrote about 80 songs but only put out 19 of them. Being prolific as a writer allows me choices and quality control so the songs I release are the best of the best of my catalog because I’ve written and written and written to build up a robust catalog.”
- Be inspired – “It’s not always about structure. When writing a great song, it also helps to be truly inspired by your life’s story. To write a great love song, it helps to be in love!”
Legend’s inspiration, wife Chrissy Teigen, can certainly be considered his muse. After dating each other for eight years, they married last year, reports the daily.co.uk website. During a recent co-hosting gig on Extra, Teigen revealed her and Legend had been discussing starting a family. The 28-year-old Teigen said, “We both really want kids… we are not, not trying, I will tell you that. As we say it’s a fun process… it’s definitely going to be a surprise, and a surprise we’d be happy for.”
Legend and Teigen will celebrate their first anniversary in September.