The latest Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls patch is almost here, and it’s massive. If the removal of the online auction house turned you away, Blizzard just added a ton of new reasons to try their flagship action RPG again, and probably keep you coming back.
If you came here out of curiosity and still have no idea what Diablo is about, basically Hell invaded a small town and you can join as many other heroes as you’d like in investigating the invasion and taking down Old Scratch. Along the way you pick up random pieces of armor and weapons and try to complete collections or discover a combination which will help you dominate the demons. Probably the grandfather of the modern MOBA, Diablo controls from a three-quarter perspective view and lets you cast a myriad of spells or simply plow through enemies with your character’s physical prowess.
It is now two sequels later, and Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls has a new patch coming which could easily breathe new life into the breakthrough action RPG series.
Here is a list of what the new patch will include:
- Seasons – Much like Ladders in Diablo II, this option gives you the option to start fresh with a new character and test your luck against the rest of the world. You can earn special achievements and Conquests, and attempt Greater Rifts for your participation in Seasons.
- Conquests – These are goals the game sets for you, chosen randomly. The difficulty ranges from simply killing a certain monster at the right level to finishing the game in one hour, and those who beat them are immortalized for their efforts. The new Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls patch will certainly have you busier, especially with the following addition.
- Greater Rifts – After defeating a Rift Guardian there is a chance they will drop a Greater Rift Key. Use this item at a Nephalem Obelisk to open a special portal. Diablo II players might equate this to creating a portal to the Cow realm, a giant field populated with ridiculously overpowered bovine beasts. Other players who don’t have the key won’t be able to join you though. The Greater Rift will be timed, so the faster you kill the monsters, the faster you’ll fill your progression bar, and the further you can advance into greater difficulties. Finish it fast enough and you might even skip difficulty levels.
- Legendary Gems – Eventually available, they will be infinitely upgradable and provide Legendary powers if equipped correctly. They can be powered up by competing in Greater Rifts and progressing as far as you can.
- Leaderboards – This Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls patch will offer a wider variety of leaderboards, displaying various challenges in separate lists. You will be able to more accurately compare your progress with that of your friends and others in your region.
- Combat Changes – The fighting itself will be altered, and Blizzard plans to adjust it for better balance to give everybody more of a chance with the greater challenges. Dodging hasn’t proven as effective for classes like Monks, so a point of Dexterity will instead grant higher Armor for them. Healing will be becoming more gear-based so that when you’re busy in combat you don’t have to stop and avoid dying.
- Cesspools – If you really have a hankering for a stinky, slimy battleground in a Nephalem or Greater Rift, you might just have your wish granted. You now have a chance of spawning a Cesspool on your way into a Rift.
Are you excited about the changes coming from the new Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls patch?
[image via subvertnormality]