Could ‘Star Wars’ Be Delayed? Harrison Ford Injury Raises Questions

Could Harrison Ford’s injury on the set of Star Wars delay the production of the massively anticipated J.J. Abrams blockbuster? We cannot tell at this time, but the actor may need screws and plates, according to his son.

The 71-year-old original cast member, who plays Han Solo, suffered an ankle injury on a soundstage at the famous Pinewood Studios in London, where the film is being shot. Initial information from sources indicated that Ford had been airlifted to a local hospital after he received attention from medics at the scene.

The New York Daily News reported that Harrison Ford was filming in proximity of Han Solo’s spacecraft, the Millennium Falcon, when the accident occurred. Part of the vehicle fell on the actor’s ankle injuring him.

A source told The Hollywood Reporter that one of the hydraulic doors fell on Harrison Ford’s ankle and crew members called emergency to attend the veteran actor. A spokesperson for Disney issued the following statement:

“Harrison Ford sustained an ankle injury during filming today. He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving care.”

Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher on the set of Star Wars, 1976. pic.twitter.com/IXtceAItYX

— ClassicPics (@History_Pics) June 14, 2014

Access Hollywood spoke to Harrison Ford’s son, Ben, who said his dad may need a plate and screws put into his ankle. However, the studio is saying that Ford’s injury won’t alter the Star Wars production schedule.

Ford’s son theorized that his father’s injury could mean that Abrams is forced to work around it, by shooting his scenes from the waist up. No official word regarding any such alterations has been made by the director or Disney.

Ford is reprising his role as Solo, who was introduced to viewers in the original Star Wars trilogy, which launched his career into Hollywood stardom. Prior to George Lucas’ casting in the film, Ford was a relative unknown.

Not much about the plot has been revealed by director J.J. Abrams or Disney, but what we do know is that the new installment, Episode VII, is set 30 years after the events of Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi. Abrams began production on May 16 and shared this tweet with fans:

Digital Spy reported that Harrison Ford’s wife, Calista Flockhart, had flown to London to be by her husband’s side when she heard about his injury. According to WENN, Flockhart left the US to visit her husband at the hospital while he recovers.

[Image via Twitter]