26-Year-Old Iraq Veteran with PTSD Dies, VA Medical Center Reportedly Refused to Treat Him

On Sunday, May 25, Missouri veteran Sgt. Isaac Sims was killed by the Kansas City Police Department after pointing a firearm at officers.

According to Time magazine, Sgt. Sims reportedly fired a gun from the inside of his parents home. However, when he retreated to the garage area of the house, he ended up aiming the firearm toward the SWAT team. Officers fired back fatally wounded the 26-year-old Iraq veteran.

Although Sims was clearly at fault for his actions, his family feels that the entire incident could have possibly been prevented. According to KCTV-5, Sims mother, Patricia Sims, has decided to go public with an opposing perspective about her son's death. She revealed that her son actually sought medical attention through Veterans Affairs for chronic migraines and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), but to no avail.

His mother revealed that he was turned away by Veterans Affairs and told to return in 30 days, when they would possibly have a bed available. Unfortunately, he was killed one week after he was denied medical treatment. His mother also recounted a number of incidents with her son that were directly associated with PTSD.

"They said, 'We don't have room for you. Your problem is not big enough. You'll have to wait. Get in line. We'll give him treatment in 30 days if a bed becomes available,'" she said. "We've been saying, 'He's got a problem. There are issues going on, he's not normal,'" she explained. "'This is how we look for IEDs, mama. This is what we do. Round and round,'" Sims said, describing what her son had depicted. "Then he'd show me on YouTube the videos on an IED exploding. He had to pick up body parts. He had to move forward as if nothing happened The let him fall through the cracks and he's dead now because of it," she concluded.

There was also physical documentation of Sims' condition. Back in April, he reportedly had a run-in with the law where he pleaded guilty to two counts of domestic violence. Following the incident, he was assigned to the Municipal Court Presiding Judge Ardie Bland for supervision.

The Kansas City Veterans Affairs' Medical Center released a statement in response to the allegations in regards to Sgt. Sims untimely death.

"We are aware of this tragic situation and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this very difficult time," it said in a statement. "We are unable to comment on an ongoing police investigation or on care provided to a particular Veteran. However, we want to encourage any Veteran (or their family member) who has questions or concerns about the attention or services they are receiving to contact the Kansas City VA Medical Center Director's Office."

The national attention Sims' death received has placed Veterans Affairs under fire yet. According to Press TV, the number of suicides among active-duty soldiers and veterans has nearly doubled since the Afghanistan and Iraq wars began. Veteran Affairs has become the center of immense scrutiny due to blatant disregard for mental health issues, as a staggering number of veterans reportedly suffer from severe forms of PTSD.

The VA has even been accused of falsifying records in an effort to cover up backlogged cases that have been mounting for years. In many instances, the VA has been accused of "medical mistreatment of US military veterans." So, technically who really should be blamed in this particular case?

Although Sgt. Sims was undoubtedly at fault for his actions toward the Kansas City Police Department, do you think Veteran Affairs should be held accountable for his death?

[Image via Bing]