Pat Robertson: Young Earth Creationists Are ‘Deaf, Dumb, And Blind’

God Creating The World

According to Pat Robertson, young Earth creationists are dead wrong about the Earth being roughly about 6,000 years old. But why is it so surprising to hear a popular Christian evangelist say this?

In a related report by The Inquisitr, Pat Robertson has managed to surprise and upset many people over the years with his statements. For example, just in the last year Robertson claimed the Atkin’s diet violated God’s principles, that atheists and liberals are like Nazis, and he supposedly even predicted an asteroid will destroy the Earth (never mind that whole Revelations thing).

Now Robertson is targeting young Earth creationism:

“The truth is, you have to be deaf, dumb and blind to think that this Earth that we live in only has 6,000 years of existence, it just doesn’t, I’m sorry.”

In this case, Pat Robertson is siding with theistic evolutionists, progressive creationists, old earth creationists, and some intelligent design advocates by saying the geological record does not support the young earth position:

“I think what we’re looking at is that there was a point of time after the Earth was created, after these things were done, after the universe was formed, after the asteroid hit the Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs. After that, there was a point of time that there was a particular human being that God touched — and that was the human that started the race that we are now part of.”

Now Robertson is apparently a theistic evolutionist, which is a position supported by a group BioLogos. They say polls about creation and evolution show that Christian leaders tend to believe in certain positions depending on which group they are part of:

“The numbers varied widely based on a number of factors, however. Pastors of mainline churches were most likely to accept Theistic Evolution, while non-Mainline, Charismatic, and Southern Baptist pastors were overwhelmingly Young Earth Creationists. Pastors of larger churches were also more likely to accept Theistic Evolution.”

Only three percent of pastors believe in theistic evolution wholeheartedly while 19 percent are young earth creationists. But 35 percent said God created life in six days as the Bible teaches while at the same saying they are uncertain about the age of the Earth. Still, if you summarize the numbers by grouping together categories, 54 percent are young earth creationists of a certain type while 18 percent believe in some form of theistic evolution.