Two Killeen Police Wounded In Shooting While Serving Search Warrant

A shooting of two police in Killeen, Texas, early Friday morning left one of the officers in critical condition, while the 49-year-old man and 50-year-old woman who allegedly shot them are under arrest and being held pending charges in Killeen City Jail.

Killeen is a city of about 135,000 directly next to the Fort Hood Army base, itself the site of two mass shootings recently, one this year and one in 2009.

While Killeen police are releasing very few details about the Friday shooting, the drama unfolded at 5:30 am Friday morning as a SWAT team along with officers from a regional organized crime task force descended on an apartment on the 1100 block of Circle M Drive in Killeen.

As the officers attempted to serve a search warrant, at least one person in the home opened fire. In the fusillade of bullets, four police officers were shot, but two were uninjured by the shooting thanks to their bullet-resistant body armor.

But two officers, whose names were not made public, were wounded. One is now listed in good condition. But the other — a male officer and 18 year veteran of the Killeen Police Department — was originally listed as “serious” but has since worsened to critical condition.

Killeen police also would not say what led them to the apartment, or what they would have searched for with their warrant.

According to a neighbor who gave her name to the Killeen Daily Herald only as M. Simpson, gunshots are not unusual in the neighborhood, but Friday morning’s shootout was the worst incident she has witnessed.

She said that the 49-year-old man arrested in the police shooting was “weird.”

“I haven’t had conversations with them, but I’ve talked to them just saying ‘hey,'” said Simpson. “My husband had a birthday party and everybody came, and he was one of them. He seemed weird, but I didn’t think he was that stirred to do all that.”

By late Friday, investigators were still at the apartment trying to piece together what happened.

In another Killeen police shooting last July, officer Robert Hornsby was killed by a soldier from Fort Hood who had recently returned from Afghanistan.