A new Friday the 13th movie will be coming to theaters in 2015.
The last time we saw Jason Voorhees stalking teenagers at Camp Crystal Lake was in the 2009 Friday the 13th reboot directed by Marcus Nispel and produced by Michael Bay. That version was originally conceived as an origin story but evolved into a re-imagining of the first four films in the series.
The 2009 reboot of Friday the 13th was met with generally negative reviews, but broke the record for the largest opening day in the series ($19 million) and largest opening weekend for any horror film ($40 million), barely beating out 2004’s The Grudge. The reboot also became the second-highest grossing film in the Friday the 13th franchise with a domestic total gross of $65 million and a worldwide gross of $91 million. The first was the 2003 crossover Freddy vs. Jason, which earned $113 million worldwide.
According to Exhibitor Relations, Friday the 13th — the thirteenth installment in the franchise —will be released March 13, 2015. So far, the reboot opens against Kenneth Branagh’s live-action Cinderella and Ron Howard’s survival thriller Into the Heart of the Sea.
In September, series creator Sean S. Cunningham hinted at a Friday the 13th web series.
“I think there will also be Friday the 13th: Crystal Lake Chronicles, which is sort of a Smallville,” Cunningham said. “We’ve been on-again off-again with that for years and there are a bunch of great stories to be told, but I think the way that it’s finally going to get delivered is not through a conventional television network, but through the Internet.”
Cunningham has only been involved in five of the 12 previous films in the Friday the 13th franchise: the original 1980 version and the 2009 reboot, Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993), Jason X(2002), and Freddy vs. Jason.
Adjusting for inflation, Friday the 13th is the highest grossing horror franchise in the United States ($687.1 million), followed by A Nightmare on Elm Street ($592.8 million).