Edgar Wright's Ant-Man will no longer be shooting in the UK.
The upcoming Marvel flick was set to shoot at Pinewood Studios, but there simply wasn't enough space to accommodate the production. In May, the local council rejected a $300 million plan by Pinewood Shepperton to add 15 studios and create more than 3,000 jobs, according to ScreenDaily.
"Ironically, Ant Man was meant to shoot in London but London is full because I guess that Pinewood extension got turned down," Wright said. The 39-year-old said more Hollywood productions, such as Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy, are shooting in Britain because of tax breaks. But the influx of American films moving across the pond could edge out British productions.
"While the tax break is good for Hollywood films shooting here, it's probably not that great for British films shooting in the UK," Wright said. "Some middle-to-low budget films are going to find themselves without crew because all the American films are shooting here."
Edgar Wright also said he would like to make films both in the UK and the US, and that he has an idea for at least one upcoming film set in Britain.
"Ideally, it would be great to flip-flop between the two," he said. "I love shooting in the UK. It's great."
In October, Marvel president Kevin Feige confirmed that cast announcements for Ant-Man would be made by the end of the year. Last month, I Love You, Man co-stars Paul Rudd and Rashida Jones were reportedly close to finalizing a deal to play Henry Pym (Ant-Man) and his love interest Janet Van Dyne. Earlier this week, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Rudd is the frontrunner to play Pym.
Feige also said Wright wanted to do "something very unique" with the film.
"And Edgar, early on going back years and years when he first was pitching it, pitched it as much as a heist movie as anything else," he said.
Ant-Man is scheduled for a July 31, 2015 release and will kick of Marvel's Phase Three films.