British police said this week they were assessing the credibility of new information relating to the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed.
The allegation that they were murdered by a British soldier was contained in a letter which was sent to the SAS’s commanding officer in September 2011.
The letter states that a Soldier ‘N’ claimed the ‘SAS was behind Princess Diana’s death’ and it had been ‘covered up.’ A statement issued by Scotland Yard said: ‘The Metropolitan Police Service is assessing the relevance and credibility of the allegation.We are not prepared to discuss the matter further,
A royal spokeswoman said there will be no comment on the matter from Prince William or Prince Harry.
Diana, Dodi Al Fayed, and chauffeur Henri Paul died after their Mercedes crashed in a Paris underpass on August 31 1997. The inquest jury returned a verdict in April 2008, that the couple were unlawfully killed.
This came after an investigation had been launched in 2004 at the request of the Royal Coroner, who was then overseeing the future Diana inquest. The report in December 2006, rejected the murder claims, including one by Dodi’s father, Mohamed Al Fayed.
Lord Stevens’s investigation found that Diana was not murdered by the British, nor by the Duke of Edinburgh and she was not pregnant nor engaged to Dodi Al Fayed.
He concluded, like the French investigation in 1999, that driver Henri Paul was drunk and driving at excessive speed. Mr Paul had an alcohol level of about twice the British drink-drive limit. Lord Stevens said allegations that Diana was murdered were without a basis in fact and that he found nothing to justify further inquiries.
A spokesman for Mohammed Al Fayed said he had no comment to make about the death of his son, Dodi Al Fayed.