Well, that was quick. Just a few hours after reporting that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a top contender for a Marvel Universe film adaptation of the Dr. Strange character, his reps have completely denied his involvement.
Latino Review revealed Monday that Marvel really wanted the Dark Knight Rises star for their Phase Three Dr. Strange film. They noted that Gordon-Levitt might not be aware of Marvel’s interest in him, but as far as the 32-year-old actor’s reps are concerned, he won’t be donning the Eye of Agamotto anytime soon.
“Not true,” one of the actor’s reps told The Huffington Post regarding the Dr. Strange rumor.
Gordon-Levitt was previously rumored for a role in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film as well.
A Dr. Strange movie is in the works at Marvel though, and will likely be a part of Phase Three post-Avengers 2.
“I would love Strange to be a part of that only because he’s a great character. He’s a great standalone character,” Marvel Studios CEO Kevin Feige said of the character this year.
“He’s got a great origin story, for the most part. And that world of pure magic, we haven’t done yet. There’s a whole supernatural/magic alternate dimension going on in the Marvel comics that we haven’t ever touched on. So I think that’s exciting.”
Do you think that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would make a good Dr. Strange? We can’t say definitively it’s not happening yet, but all signs point to “no” at this point.
[Image via: Shutterstock]