Cirque du Soleil will resume its Ka Vegas shows after the deadly accident that killed a veteran performer 17 days prior.
The company announced on Sunday that the shows will resume on Tuesday, 17 days after one of their acrobats, Sarah Guillot-Guyard, fell 90 feet to her death in the closing scene of the show.
However, the show at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino will resume without the scene that led to the young woman’s death on June 29, spokeswoman Renee-Claude Menard said.
Menard said that the decision to resume the shows came after careful consultation with producers and crew. The Tuesday show will be dedicated to the late Guillot-Guyard.
The final scene that tragically cost the performer’s life will be replaced by a “dressing ritual,” which is in tune with the story line and keeps the length of the show at 90 minutes.
Coroner’s officials have ruled that the Cirque du Soleil performer’s death was an accident, and she was still wearing her harness when she was found.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has launched an investigation into the incident, which could take up to six months.
On June 29, horrified viewers who were present at the show, said that they thought the fall was part of the show and only realized something was terribly wrong when they heard other performers’ cries. The show was stopped for a few moments and then resumed.
This is the first on stage deadly accident in Cirque du Soleil’s 29-year history. Sarah Guillot-Guyard had been with the Ka original cast since 2006. She had been an acrobat for 20 years.
The 31-year-old performer was suspended 90 feet in the air by a wire when she fell into the pit under the stage in the June 29 tragedy.
Do you think it’s too soon for Cirque du Soleil to resume the Ka Show in Vegas?