Charlotte, NC — Pro wrestler Reid Flair, Ric Flair’s son, reportedly passed away as a result of an accidental overdose of heroin and prescription meds.
That was the conclusion of the Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner’s office according to the Charlotte Observer. Flair, 25, apparently also had traces of the muscle relaxant clonazepam as well as Xanax in his system, the autopsy indicates.
Reid Flair tragically died on March 29 in a hotel room in Charlotte, N.C. His dad found him in the room unconscious (listen to the heart-wrenching 911 call embedded below),and the younger Flair was later pronounced dead at the scene. Following in his father’s footsteps, Reid had been working with All Japan Pro Wrestling but recently returned home and evidently was getting ready to make a couple of appearances stateside. There were even rumors that Reid would soon be joining the WWE.
Of his son, Ric Flair said “I loved him. He should have been on top of the world, but he was fighting a battle he couldn’t win. I hope people remember his laugh, his spirit, and his love of life.” Reid’s mother Beth said “It (the report) makes it harder. I knew his fears and I knew how to help him. All he wanted to do was stay busy, train, and keep his mind off the old triggers, then go back to Japan. He was doing really well there.”
According to TMZ, the younger Flair had struggled with heroin addiction previously, which allegedly included three other overdose incidents.
Wrestling legend Ric Flair (Fliehr) is a 16-time World’s Heavyweight Champion. The flamboyant “Nature Boy” is considered perhaps the greatest pro wrestler of all time. In addition to his in-ring athleticism, Rick Flair in his prime cut the best promos of anyone in that sports-entertainment genre during his time in the NWA, WCW, and WWE among other promotions.