Posted in: News

Miami Deck Collapse Investigation Still Underway

Shucks Bar & Grill Collapse

Miami, FL – An investigation into the collapse of a deck at Shuckers Bar & Grill last week is currently underway.

Around 100 patrons were plunged into the Biscayne Bay while watching the Miami Heat game on Thursday night. Many of the individuals who hit the water were eating and drinking at the time of the accident.

According to the Miami Herald, the clean-up process is still ongoing. Authorities are also looking into what caused the deck to collapse. At present, officials believe a structural problem may been behind the accident.

North Bay Village Police Chief Bob Daniels said an inspection at Shucker’s Bar & Grill took place six months ago. Although the engineer said he wasn’t required to inspect the deck that collapsed, authorities stated he made mention of the area in his report.

“We are at the moment investigating the structure. The engineers are taking a closer look at it. They are certain it is some type of a structural incident,” Daniel explained.

Around two dozen people were injured when the deck collapsed in Miami. First responders dived into the water to help rescue those who had fallen in the bay. Thankfully, no one was killed during the accident.

Firefighter Luis Cal told WSVN the restaurant was in “chaos” when the incident occurred. Although everyone was in a panic, he said that he tried his best to stay focused while trying to help people who were underwater.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Andre Cruzeta credited everyone at the scene for rescuing the people who tumbled into the Biscayne Bay when the deck collapsed.

“We had to get in the water as soon as possible, because if someone’s in there, they have a limited amount of time before survivability is zero to none,” he explained.

Miami police are still investigating what caused the deck to collapse at Shuckers Bar & Grill. The clean-up progress is reportedly ongoing as well.

[Image via Shutterstock]

Articles And Offers From The Web

Comments