Monster Beverage Says Drinks Didn’t Kill Teenager
Monster Beverage claims there’s no proof its products were responsible for the death of a teenage girl.
The company’s lawyer explained there is currently no scientific evidence that proves Anais Fournier died after consuming two of its 24-ounce Monster drinks in the span of two days.
According to NBC News, the teenager had several preexisting conditions which increased the likelihood of sudden cardiac arrhythmia.
The lawyer for Monster Beverage explained:
“There was no medical, scientific or factual evidence to support the medical examiner’s conclusion of caffeine toxicity.”
The company also claimed that Fournier was a regular Starbucks customer and drank coffee on a fairly regular basis.
Kevin Goldberg said his clients believe Monster Beverage is responsible for the death of their daughter. He said that there were other symptoms of cardiac arrhythmia.
Goldberg told CBS News that the teenager died shortly after consuming the product.
“The fact that she went into cardiac arrest just hours after consuming the second 24-ounce Monster energy drink is evidence that she died of caffeine toxicity.”
The lawyer for Fournier’s parents said the product labeling is misleading since Monster Beverage is targeting teenagers with its ad campaign. The company explained that its target demographic is the 18 to 34 crowd.
Despite the pending lawsuit and the allegations made against its product, Monster Beverage claims its energy drinks are perfectly safe. The company stressed that a 24-ounce can of its product contains less caffeine than a cup of coffee from Starbucks.
FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg explained that the agency will begin looking into the connection between caffeine and health. Hamburg added that this investigation will incorporate drinks beyond those made by Monster Beverage and its competitors.
Do you think Monster Beverage energy drinks are dangerous?